There are a few things I think my mom screwed up with her small town attorney. Everyone keeps telling me I need an Elder Law attorney but I'm having trouble finding one in my state. I really don't want to have to drive 500 miles to the attorney's office. Also, I am currently living with my mom as she needs 24hr care. Her furnace broke, it wasn't repairable as it was installed back in the 50's and she couldn't afford a new one, so I took $2,000 out of my own bank account for the down payment, now I'm broke. I won't be saving much for the next few months as I will have to make several $500 monthly payments.

I may have been wrong to authorize modifications to her house for the new furnace, but we are getting temperatures of -12 and my mom is 96 years old, so she can't be without heat in the house.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
The furnace broke, and you replaced it. I don't get what you need a lawyer for? Is there something I'm missing? 70 years seems like a decent amount of time for a furnace to last.

Regardless, you'll likely have to go to a larger city to find an EC attorney, unless you can find one pulling a Green Acres on a nearby farm :p
Helpful Answer (0)

I hardly think you're wrong about authorizing purchase of a new furance; it's an absolute necessity even for younger people during polar vortices and the frigid weather we're now experiencing.

That happened to me a few years ago; my old 40 year furnace decided to retire, right when a Polar Vortex was bringing frigid weather.    I interviewed and got quotes from 3 companies (maybe a 4th), then ordered the furnace, which was quickly installed.   But prices here run from $5K upward.   And being so cold was really unpleasant, perhaps dangerous as well.

A few suggestions:

1.   Contact the Bldg. Department or Senior Care of your local governmental offices; there may be emergency funds available to help (even after you've purchased the furnace).   Ours used to get HUD funds at the beginning of each fiscal year, and they were for emergency purposes.

2.    Contact the local county offices for the same purpose.   Same with the state, and ask if they have emergency programs for seniors.   Ours also has an Elder Law division, which although this isn't a legal issue, might be if there is one in NE to advise you of other options.

3.    In my area, the larger communities have well run Senior Centers which sometimes keep lists of helpful organizations.  I also collect booklets which used to be handed out by elected officials, which essentially are phone books for elder services.

4.    As to attorneys, you may have to go to larger cities to find more of a selection.   Do online research on your state bar association, and any local bar associations, then inquire about Elder Law attorneys in your area, then start calling.   

5.   Local Senior Centers used to have a free limited legal advice day, with volunteer attorneys.  Given the pandemic, I don't know if that option might still be available.
Helpful Answer (0)

Well, you aren't necessarily wrong about the heater, but you won't necessarily get the money back for it either.
Now to the will. If there is one small things wrong you don't need Elder Law. What is wrong, exactly? You may only need one hour of a regular attorney's time and this can come from your Mother's SS check or wherever.
Details would help us guide you to the best help for your situation.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter