How can I get assistance for taking care of my brother who is a senior citizen and lives with me?


In March 2017 my brother had a stroke which caused me to leave my job to take care of him. I immediately became his caregiver. Currently I am unemployed and am unable to pay my bills.

Find Care & Housing


hallsonice, the vast majority of family caregivers do not get paid... unless the person we are caring for can pay us from their own retirement fund. If your brother can do that, then you would need to draw up an employment agreement.

Otherwise, like JoAnn above had mentioned, check to see if your brother can be accepted by Medicaid [which is different from Medicare]. Some States will pay a family caregiver, but the hours could be limited and the pay minimal.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to freqflyer

Go to your local Social Service office and see if you can get help financially. Ask about care programs for brother. You also may want to consider a nursing facility and file for Medicaid. You don't mention ur age. If still young enough to work, then maybe you should consider it. Your future SS earnings depend on your work income.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to JoAnn29