How can I find someone to check in on my mom?

I live in Seattle and she lives in Stockton, CA. I'm in the process of moving her back to Seattle as she has had recent health issues that are becoming quite severe. I have a job and can't just take 3 weeks off to solve this. But, she's currently very sick and just needs someone to check in on her once or twice a day for the next 3-4 weeks. How can I find that on short notice? I won't have much to pay, if any at all.

19

Answers

Jon,
Sorry to read of your loss, and appreciate your willingness to help others -
Reply to MsMadge

Jon,
So sorry for your loss of your Mother.
Reply to Sendhelp

Sorry, Jon, and hope you're not letting guilt get you - you can't fix what you don't know about....
Reply to mally1

I, too am so sorry for your loss.
Reply to gladimhere

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It surely did not sound good, what you described in earlier posts.
Reply to XenaJada

Jon, I'm so sorry to learn that this didn't work out well, and so sorry for your loss.

You're offering a brave and helpful attitude, which I think can help caregivers if they're ever in a similar situation. I couldn't help thinking either cancer or an ulcer when I read the first post about vomiting blood.

I also appreciate your sharing the information on her NSAID use. Some nonprescription meds can be so dangerous, and NSAIDs when used extensively fall in that category.

Again, please accept my condolences on your loss.

All,

I thank you all for your support. My mother passed away this morning. The cause was a massive ulcer (6cm) that just didn't heal. My mom was a very strong person so the thought of some ulcer taking her down was unthinkable. I post this so others may learn from her experience.

My mom was a habitual NSAIDs user. Not that she had pain, but she thought that it wasn't harmful. When she started having pain, she took more. After reading emails from about 6 months ago, it became obvious that something was wrong (hindsight 20/20). She was 82 years old, strong as an ox before, then suddenly started becoming exhausted. Plus, throwing up more often. Had I known what was going on, this was completely treatable six months ago. Unfortunately, I'm too late now.

For anyone that has questions about my mom's condition feel free to post here. I will continue to answer in hopes that I can help someone else. She had 10 more good years and I hope that I can help another to have those years. Ask me anything, I will answer.

Again, thank you all. I will miss my mother but know that she's in a better place.

Sincerely,
Jon Wren
Reply to jonwren

You got it, prayers.
Reply to Sendhelp

All,
Thank you for your kind advice. Unfortunately, yesterday morning she took a turn for the worse and went back to the ER and is now in the ICU. Had I not been there yesterday morning, she would have bleed out within an hour. You are all correct in that she can not be alone anymore so we'll be looking into assisted living.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Jon
Reply to jonwren