It is likely that I will be appointed guardian for my 91 yo mom, but I am not sure what that entails or what to do next. Mom has always been very independent but with the advent of dementia, she has become aggressive, delusional, and confused. She also has incontinence, and mobility issues. Nevertheless, she resists medical help and has said she will physically fight any aides that might come into the home. She is no longer able to live alone, but I don't know how to "persuade" her to move closer to my family several hundred miles away. I thought that having guardianship would help, but now that it is a possibility, I don't see how it is. Does anyone have advise on how they have handled situations like this?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Thanks for the legal advise. However, my question also has to do with how I can compel her to act. Short of calling the police, how can I "persuade" her to do anything (e.g., see a physician, move to assisted living, or even change her adult diaper)? With a small child, one can pick them up and physically move them. However, doing so with a frail adult is problematic. It seems that having guardianship will give me the "rights" to do what is in her best interests, but I wonder about what  I can do to facilitate those rights.
Helpful Answer (0)

Having guardianship allows you to call the shots. Allows you to take her to a geriatric psychiatrist for for evaluation. Allows you to determine where she lives and at what level of care. Allows you to determine what meds she is given.

It basically gives you all the rights a parent would have over a minor child.
Helpful Answer (4)

I'd consult with an attorney to see the details of how to go about things. Did one help you obtain the Guardianship? If so, I"d ask for guidance. If not, I'd take the document with you to have it reviewed and get details on how law enforcement may assist you in carrying out what arrangements you make. It's not her decision to make any longer and as the Guardian you have the responsibility of ensuring she is protected.
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter