Hot flashes with dementia?

It's a long shot, because my research has turned up nothing, but has anyone else heard of dementia being linked to hormonal changes? My mother (81, mild dementia) has been going through hot flashes, night sweats and rapid body temperature changes for the past six months. Doctors have no idea... no evidence that it's related to her medication (Exelon patch)... no lifestyle changes to explain it. Certainly not life-threatening, just unusual and, for her, confusing.

23

Answers

1 2 3
I agree, my mom is 89 with dementia, and it seems she also hot flashes

My husband has PSP with frontal lobe dementia. He switches from hot flashes to being cold within 15 minutes, and changes back. It's a repetition of 'please open the windows' to 'please close those windows! Turn the heat up!' I've been reading up on the diseases for four years and it doesn't ever seem to be mentioned. But you're not alone. Only meds are for COPD and high blood pressure.

hey thanks toradojan never thought about that

Anxiety can also play a role. There have been times when I thought my mom might be sick because her temp was up - used thermometer - but she had no other symptoms other than being fired up about something. When things calmed down - and she calmed down - within hours - her temp came down.

Thank you, "formygrandma" for that very comprehensive and thoughtful answer. Your grandmother is fortunate to have someone who is monitoring her so closely and taking such good care of her... I'm humbled and impressed. My mother is not taking multivitamins or meds at night, and she likes the home very warm (77). I don't think it's dehydration, as she consumes quite a bit of water, but I will monitor that for a while in case. We're waiting to see her GP right now, there's a bit of a wait....

I care for my grandmother (96). She is a petite woman whom has always liked the house rather warm, around 74-76 degrees warm on a sunny day. So when she became ill around the holiday and lost a considerable amount of weight I found that she was stripping down at night to well all but nothing and would kick off her covers. She was waking up with a noticeable blankness in her eyes, She started calling me Ellie (her sister whom has been passed for over 25 years). Which would lead to confusion when I would correct her. I monitored this in a few ways, by lowering the thermometer at night to where I was chilled to checking her vents, filters to monitoring her diet, changing the sheets from flannel to satin for the non human related stuff. I monitored her BP sitting, standing and laying at the time she laid down and also then when she had woke again. Her BM's, her Temp, if she was sleeping soundly I would swipe across her forehead with a digital thermometer. I noticed that she was dehydrated and so we worked on slowly rehydrating which worked somewhat on the disorientation, but as for the sweats and hot flashes, I found that taking her off of her senior multivitamin in a pill form was what caused her to regulate her temperature. I found that in the am and then at night I would offer her a multivitamin in liquid form. Centrum makes an adult liquid multivitamin that has a citrus taste that she likes a lot. As she is a petite lady so she takes 1/2 dose in Am and then 1/2 dose at bedtime. I stress that the multivitamin is at night, because during the day we already get essential vitamin and sunlight, where at night when our body is resting it is also repairing, and if she is on night meds, her body is trying to break down all of those pills, only to have to work again to digest them. Which lead to blood sugar spikes and lack of food and beverage to push them thru her system well sweating them out is common. Often the hallutionations were in my grandmothers case, was because she was dreaming of her childhood and when I would check on her and rouse her, she was still kinda in that dreamy state, but would eventually come out of it. We have been doing the liquid multivitamin for a little over 3 months and she is doing wonderful. She even gets up in a better mood and also wakes up earlier then before and stays up during the day. I hope maybe this might help you.

Katiedid, sharp pains like muscle spasm? Check for dehydration.

Do any caregivers have solutions when their PSP patients experience sharp pains? Can be in calf, top of foot, top of hand, back, left inner elbow. Seems to be happening heavily in last two weeks. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

I am 83 . Was diagnosed with early Alzheimers in Dec. I am taking Donepizil. I have noticed the hot and cold but so far no night sweats. I keep my sunny side up!

My husband has an 'out of whack thermostat' as I tell him. Heat up, heat down, fresh air, close the window, I'm cold, why do I have all these blankets on me - get them off, I'm too hot........ He takes a 5mg Amlodipine for Blood pressure, and COPD inhalers, but there is nothing for his PSP or frontal lobe dementia. I don't know what to do except to try to make him comfortable doing whatever he asks. Any ideas?

1 2 3