I requested a hospital transfer for my husband who has HI/ABI from a heart attack, we were at one hospital and I asked for a transfer to another hospital, my husband's physician did not like the idea but consented and the hospital social worker started the process, I was told they could not contact the transfer company until the recieving hospital had a confirmed bed for my husband. We got the confirmation of a bed for my husband and the transfer company was called I paid 1652.00 out of pocket for this transfer and the discharging doctor started ordering tests on my husband, the transport company showed up the doctor said he didn't feel my husband should be transferred after the transport company showed up, he was transported on our 2 he transport ride the discharge doctor called the recieving hospital and advised them that they could release the room held for my husband and we were redirected to the ER of the recieving hospital where my husband and I sat for 15 hrs waiting to be admitted to the hospital. Then I was told by the ER doctor that the discharge doctor told them due to his and my personal disagreement that he had put an AMA on the cancellation after we left. How can a doctor do this to my husband after we left with the transfer in place.. and we were in mid transfer?

Ccopike
I’m sorry you are going through this. I applaud you for getting your husband away from that guy. I’ve had a couple of those experiences and they left me never willing to go to a local inferior hospital even if I had to drive three hours to get to what I knew would be much better care for my loved one. I know how hard it is to get them to let you go is why I won’t go to them. I’m always sorry if I do.
The threats, the fear of “what if I’m wrong”. The circumstances you described really left you no choice.
Please come back and let us know how you and your husband are doing. I hope you have enough time to follow up on this great disservice you’ve experienced. This guy sounds like a bully of the worst sort.
Reply to 97yroldmom

Ahmijoy I am so sorry to hear of your loss.. bless you
Reply to Ccopike

He has pneumonia, and a pressure sore on his sacrum that has gotten inflamed and swollen, he is getting treatment at the new hospital but I don't know if he will survive his original condition or and these issues.. he is only in his early fifties and this is so difficult to deal with on a daily basis.. some days are better than other some not so!
Reply to Ccopike

Wow! I lost my husband at a hospital once, too, but nothing on the level of what you’ve gone through. I totally agree with Barb. Your poor husband. Is he doing ok now?

My husband was at an LTAC hospital on the 11th floor of the discharge hospital 5weeks prior. The LTAC hospital sent my husband to a nursing home the nursing home was not giving proper care, his peg tube became clogged and a pressure ulcer became worse. He was sitting in his own feces without bandage on multiple occasions I had him taken to the ER at this hospital to be looked at the ER doctor stated my husband had pneumonia and admitted him and I found out the hospitalist that was on my husband's case 5weeks earlier was going to be his doctor. I asked to speak with him concerning my husband I stepped out of the hospital and asked the nurses to please call me if the doctor showed up so he and I could speak, they did not call me and after waiting all day and finding the doctor showed only after I stepped away for 20 mins, I asked him to come back he called in stead and said he would release my husband back to the original nursing home, I explained why I did not think this was a good idea and asked him if he would put in for a hospital to hospital transfer to a larger hospital he said he would discharge my husband and I could put him in my car and take him where ever I wanted to or he would discharge him back to the nursing facility. I told him no. He became very rude and hing up the next day we talked and he set the transfer in place, then after transport was paid and they were on their way there were tests ordered and the preformed on my husband i questioned them and the nursing staff said the doctor had ordered them , transport showed up and the doctor called down to my husband's floor and said to cancel the transport, they were already there. I asked for the doctor to come down and talk to me. He did and we exchanged words, transport put him in the ambulance and we were on our way, when I arrived at the new hospital no-one could locate my husband, after 30 mins we were told he was in the ER at the recieving hospital, when I got there I was told that the discharge physician had contacted the recieving hospital and cancelled the room that was reserved for my husband and that is why he was taken to the ER.
Reply to Ccopike

We’re you changing doctors as well as hospitals? I don’t understand why doctor #1 would put your husband’s health at risk like that by causing such an uproar over the transfer. Were you unhappy with both doctor #1 and hospital #1? What do you mean he put the AMA on the cancellation? Doctor #1 agreed to the transfer, then didn’t agree and then started ordering tests and you were not informed about any of this? I’m really confused. Where is your husband now?

Call the patient advocacy department of the discharging hospital and ask for an investigation of what happened.

Tell them that you are giving them the courtesy of allowing them to make this right, including reimbursement for the transport fee, before you get your lawyer involved. Follow up with a certified letter, cc'ed to your lawyer and the Attorney General of your state. You might also include your local representative.