How can hospice (in-hospital) legally withhold food and water from a patient?

They give them nothing but morphine? Is that not euthanasia? Was in-home hospice pt because hospice & palliative care have you in a financial catch22. No matter what you choose, it is not the best care. Item: Pt got herself down hall to bathroom, muscles weakened & she ran out of energy, sunk to floor in bathroom. Could not get her into her wheelchair but in moving her toward chair, I discovered her O2 tube was no longer connected to her cannula. Immediately we reconnected but still needed help to get her up off floor. We called 911. EMTs said her vitals were perfect & she was "strong woman" but they insisted she go to hospital. Somehow ER staff got 1 of the healthcare proxies to sign DNR for pt and now she's in hospice receiving no food or water. Of course she will die from dehydration, if nothing else. This is criminal to me. How can this be legally acceptable for someone who does not want this & she's so doped up, she can't complain except in someone's ear: "Get me out of here."? She may be in end-stage COPD but she is only dying with medical help she does not want. She asked not to die in-hospital & refused to sign a DNR & I don't understand this at all. Is there anything at all I can do?

22

Answers

I truly think that there are many who either do not read the hospice agreement and/ or do not at all understand hospice. Their purpose is to keep the patient as comfortable as possible, to alleviate pain as much as possible and it is up to the family to seek appropriate counseling regarding the patient's need for the palliative only care that any hospice groups I have encountered offers. These are caring compassionate people who are there only to ease the transition. There have been several comments declaring that they put their loved one in hospice and the loved one has been deprived of food and hydration. I have recently experienced the deaths of several family members and three friends in three states and every family member was deeply appreciative of the care their loved one received. Please do not make this decision without complete knowledge of the purpose and the process.
Reply to She1934

I’m done here. These people , or bots, or whatever they are, deserve no response.

Forum members should ALL quit engaging this crap on all the Hospice hater threads. Over and out.....
Reply to Windyridge

Who are these people....Russian trolls?
Reply to Windyridge

shameonthemall, look up aspiration then you will understand why some patients no longer can take in food or water. Also when the organs start to shut down, food would just sit in the stomach, painful.... and water would sit in the kidneys, painful.

The more you know about how the body works, the better it is to understand what is happening to your love one.

Please note that EMT's are NOT doctors, yes her vitals might had been strong, so was my Mom's at 98, but Mom was going into a downward spiral after a bad fall.

Hospice doesn't stop food and water. It's the patient who refuses to eat or drink as they know that death is coming soon. There is nothing one can do to reverse that, except make the patient very comfortable. You wouldn't want your friend in terrible pain and COPD can make a person feel like they are suffocating.

Just curious, who did sign the DNR?

Windy, maybe campaigns aren't the only thing the Russians are meddling in.

You don't get hospice without PROOF of a terminal illness.
If home care results in a fall, you are better off in a hospital where multiple people can move the patient and a hoyer lift is available.
The DNR is signed by the HCP and the doctor. It is not up to the HCP alone.
It is not easy to sign that paper, but watching someone suffocate without morphine to help the breathing would be unbearable.
Reply to pamstegma

I disagree. My mom was in the hospital and given every chance to live. At the end the doctor called me and told me she was only taking in small bits of food and she had difficulty swallowing which started years ago before she ever went into hospital! We agreed on palliative care and yet they still allowed her whatever food she was able to take in, they did oral care and tried to keep her hydrated even when she had ripped out her IV multiple times which was giving her the fluids her body needed. It was me who chose palliative care, as to not put my mom through anymore suffering. The only time they used morphine was when I told them to disconnect her from the vent! It was to keep her comfortable and not be in pain as she left this world. If it wasn’t for the hospital and those doctors and nurses, I may have lost my mind. In the end, they asked me, what I wanted for my mom, it was my choice, not theirs! I also agree that no one fully understands hospice and should be educated better as to understand what will be happening. I in the healthcare field already knew what it entailed. I had one specific nurse that got me through the whole ordeal with my mom and was by my moms side the whole time. I know in the end I made the right decision.
Reply to EricaMagoo83

The patient and their caregivers/POAs always have the final say in the treatment of their loved one.
If you don't agree with something and can not get an understandable explanation of the situation, request a second opinion and refuse if it seems the right thing for you to do and you are prepared to live with results of your decision. No one can stop you taking a loved one home again if you feel it is the right thing to do. Hospice will never
refuse to let you take your loved one home as long as the situation is acceptable and the family is capable of taking proper care. it is not unusual for a patient to be taken home and realize their heart felt wish to die at home.
Reply to Veronica91

Veronica, I know of a case where a patient dying of pancreatic cancer was taken home, per his request. The medical staff warned the family that pain control would not be workable for him. They were right - the patient had to be rushed back to the hospital in agony. Sometimes the medical staff do really know what is best.
Reply to rovana