Has anyone had great results with hospice for a parent with a progressive dementia?

My mom is 91 years old. Up until 3 months ago she was doing great, able to live on her own. Had a fall and was found by me after being down over night. She had alot of protiens built up in her muscles from the fall and started having kidney function failure. She now lives with me in my home.
She isn't at all the same mom I knew and loved 3 months ago. She was diagnosed with a severe dementia decline and they are now sending out a social worker to start paperwork for Hospice. I am willing to try anything? I am exhausted, sleep deprived and stir crazy. What experiences have you all had with Hospice. What should I expect from them?

27

Answers

1 2 3
I too have hospice my mom is in a care home with dementia they come out in the afternoon and really don't do anything I have had the same experience with hospice they don't do anything for us if I bring mom back home I will be on my own make sure you get the facts straight before you sign her on

Getting my mom onto Hospice care was by far the best gift I ever gave her! My only regret was not getting her signed up for hospice sooner - I was ignorant that she had options to be on hospice longer than a month or so. She went from getting minimal care in a nursing home (despite her advanced dementia) to having a whole team of caring professionals at her disposal. Not only did they allow her to die with dignity, the help they offered me and my brother was just invaluable.

My 98 has been with hospice for years. Her conjestive heart failure diagnosis is how she qualifies. She lives independently, is taken to a senior/nutrition center 5 days a week. This is a city sponsored program where she is fed lunch and can interact with folks in her community. Hospice has been her life support and my relief as they order and dispense her meds. She has no dementia (can you imagine) so she take her own meds. They arrive to bathe her and monitor her health. My 85 yr old mom, on the other hand, did not qualify even thought she has early dementia and stage 4 kidney failure. So it's important to call hospice and explore what, if anything, they could do for your loved one. They come to you and the application process is quick. We too have changed agencies when the first one changed ownership.

Hospice Care is great....they will come in and give you all the respite help that you need. ICC ( They also offer Intensive Compassionate Care) ask about that .
Just allow them to asses your situation and you will be surprise at how much they can help.
Read a little about the joys of hospice at
dementialiving

Thank you, I hope this will help you
Apharris

I am a caregiver for my dementia mother and she just had a massive heart attack last year and I am still taking care of her, I have called hospice for her needs like her meds is deliver at home through mail and oxygen when needed. Her nurse comes once a week and a doctor come and see her every two months. I have been bathing her and checking her vital and giving her meds that she suppose to have and feed her daily. A social helper stops by and ask if I need anything or need someone to watch my mother so that I can get a break,Hospice is really great to have for home care.....and I don't have any complain about them. I do recommend anyone to consider getting help from them for your love one it is worth it ..I am giving my mother her respect and and her wish that she wants is to never let her go to a nursing home...she is happier with her own enviroment .I am proud to be her caregiver and love her till the end of time.

Hospice is like home health care, more or less, but with more care. Their premise is
generally that this person has a good chance of passing away within 6 months. They give what they call comfort care. They will have drugs you can give her if she is having pain or anxiety. They do require that the person on hospice has a DNR.
They will have chaplains that visit regularly. Kind of like friends to talk to. The nurse generally will come once a week, depending upon their condition it might be
more. If your mother gets sick she no longer goes to the doctor, the nurse will come examine her and report to the doctor and order her whatever medicine she needs. They will send in an aide to help with bathing. My mother gets one that comes in M,W, and F. They just make it easier. They also provide some medicines, it is usually for whatever condition that made her eligible for hospice. My mothers for example is COPD. They provide her inhalers.

So far I have had great results with Hospice...no complaints at all. Mom however hates having the interuptions. But she puts on a big smile for whom ever comes in the door. Whether she wants them there or not. The days of seeing little bits of my mom are gone. She hasn't any clue to who I am or where she lives. She woke up on the grumpy side today...and maybe my emotions got the best of me. But I wanted to see just a little bit of my momma. Tomorrow is my twin sister and mines 49th birthday. My only wish is to see my mom in those brown eyes one more time. If only for a day...sorry for the sobbing. I just miss her. The person that's there now...is not her. It's been a tough weekend...hoping for a better day tomorrow. Night all.

Hospice has it's place but I would say be careful because the ones that I've had experience with tend to medicate heavily. Make sure you stay in control and question all treatments. It's important for you to get a break frequently so I hope it works out for you. I wish you the best.

I have Compassion Care Hospice for my 98 yr old grandmother in our home and I love them. I had another hospice group before and saw a huge decline with grandma, but with med adjustments from the new team I have more quality time with her and she is not as sedated. Respite was a complete fail for us with the other hospice group and I have been scared to try it with CCH. One thing to ask if there is a respite care facility that they can contract with where ever you are traveling to if you go away for 5 days. That way you can check-in on your loved one. One thing about respite/NH if you come around they stay on there toes with your loved ones.

1 2 3