My dad fell in the bathroom in March, 911 called in. He went to the hospital. There he stayed in the hospital for 25 days. He had Acute chronic congestive heart failure unspecified heart failure, acute kidney injury, atrial fibrillation with RVR, Atrial Flutter and AMS. He started to have sundown syndrome. He stayed at my brother's house for 14 days.
Again he ended up in the hospital for same issue. This time he was having a breathing issues, edema, fast heart rate. Medicines treatment was not working for him so they decided to Cardioverson on him, that didn't do well with him. He was feeling the same. Then they did Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation & Atrial Flutter. During the surgery, his esophagus got damage due to the heat, his esophagus got lots of ulcers. They did not give him to eat any thing for 4 days. They did EGD, CT, lot more test to see if there is any leakage in his esophagus. They were thinking to put feeding tube. But they didn't because they didn't see any leakage. At this time my sister call the nurse and ask for advance direct form to nurse so that my dad can sign. My dad wants us to make decision for his health. We are 3 siblings and decide to go with home Hospice care for him. We did not want him to stay at the hospital for longer period time. He has been to the hospital for 30 days this time. Yesterday he got back home. His Cardiology called me yesterday when he found out that we decided to go with Hospice. He was convincing us that my dad will be fine. He just had a some issues but he will get back to normal. He is on semi-liquid diet only. He told us his esophagus will get better with time. But my dad on other hand he is very weak and his health one day is fine next day he is again struggle to breath.
I don't know what to do at this point. Did we make mistake by sign him up with Hospice? Since it's coronavirus no one was allowed to the hospital. We were scared that our dad will die in the hospital alone what we can not see him. All 3 of us had a meeting and discussed about dad's health. I know for sure we decided no more surgery for him, no ventilator, my dad didn't want a feeding tube. So no feeling tube. It is so confusing since his cardiologist called us. That make you think did we make a mistake. Oh my dad is 83 year old. His heart is only working 20% and his heart cover with water.