Hospice nurse kept saying they don't do curative treatment. Any advice?

On hospice for COPD mother broke hip w/multiple fractures dr at hospital sure she would not last its 4 wks and now hospice says no recert?!? She is laying there being a trooper. I've helped her fight through delirium and struggle with the in ability to get up for the bathroom. Now hospice says they are done and I am left to find a surgeon that will try to do a non-anesthesia repair. I feel like hospice wanted her to die and now that she didn't its too much work for them. Her general doctor hasn't even responded in person and says go get an Osteo doctor. Is this compassion? Hospice Nurse kept saying they don't do curative treatment. Well I sure hope they feel good about that saying. I feel like they have left us in a worse state - well actually I know they have because she still has terminal COPD and know a broken hip too. No offer for an epidural procedure or a nerve block for pain. I've had to go research all these options on my own and I am currently looking for a compassionate surgeon in the Council Bluffs/Omaha area.

18

Answers

My two cents. My mother is in hospice as well. Yes i too felt and still feel they are in the business to keep them comfortable until they die, which I do not like at all, but understand their role. It sort of sounds like in your case maybe some of their approach was not well or compassionate. I too feel that way at times with my mothers nurse, but my parents really like her and I do think she cares. Like everyone else has said she does not have to stay on hospice but when and if ready again she can reapply. If your mother is in a position that she is not dying then it just doesnt make sense to keep her with hospice, as she needs proper ongoing medical care. I dont know if this has helped you at all. Just know you absolutely are not alone and it is difficult for all of us caregivers to do what is best for the ones we love so terribley. Stay strong!

FLOW, How about "allow her to die, if it's her time"?. I believe that's what hospice is about. We're talking about a person with severe copd who can't have inhaled anesthesia. This is a complex, end of life problem.

I am helping people by telling them so they can be prepared for the worst but hope for the best as the saying goes. Are you trying to scare away the people like me who have suffered and want to share their experiences. When they share they are also helping others by giving them knowledge of what can happen. It is true not all hospitals and nursing homes are bad but when they do bad things people should be aware and not just sweep it under the carpet as some of you seem to do. This is a site to help caregivers which I want to do by warning them before their loved one is hurt or killed.

AC Administration, can you do something to get Flowgo some help??

Flowgo. This question was asked by igirltech. Allow her to get her question answered, please. Don't start instigating by saying." What are you talking about?"
She is going to start wondering about the wonderful caregivers on this site as they try to get you to go elsewhere for your own help, for your own good. New posters have no idea about the many many questions you've posted with your own agenda, not really desiring a solution or any answers that differ from your agenda. I am reporting all your posts from now on, and this post explaining hopefully why you should stop, and go for help. Apologizing in advance to everyone who may disagree with my advice to Flowgo. I will take that risk.

Flogo, it may be YOUR truth, but in fact, many of us here, myself included, have had good experiences with hospitsls, rehab facilities and hospice organizations. The fact that there are these "other opinions" seems to be lost on you, as you keep insisting that all of these organizations are bad. They are not. My relative entered hospice, improved, was discharged, went on hospice again, fell and went off hospice to have a hip replacement. All without family members hovering. Others here could tell you similar stories.

You had a bad experience several years ago. I am sorry for your loss. But your constant rants are disrupting, off-putting and damaging to those seeking INFORMATION. Please stop over generalizing. You risk being seen as quite imbalanced.

This needs to stop happening. That means that people have to be aware that this does happen and then can have a chance of being safe.One example of this would be never leaving their loved one for even a second if they are in a hospital or nursing home to recover and beware of hospice. It is there to help a person die even if the person is not ready to die. So people need to be aware of this. It is also not safe to leave your loved ones alone with hospice staff. Hire your own nurse if a break is needed. I used to think that you can totally depend on medical staff to help your loved ones out. That is far from the truth. I was able to trust some of the staff but some staff you can trust as much as you can trust the wolf in little red riding hood.people need to be aware. When a person is in a hospital or recovering in a facility they are helpless. that is why the family needs to be the one who protects them from harm and to do this they need to be aware of the dangers ahead of time.

My situation as I found out on here and other sites and others is not so rare. That makes it even worse.Family need to at least know what can happen and then they may be able to help their loved one.

I agree killing people is not only unprofessional, it is morally wrong and actually illegal if they are caught. Unfortunately they get away with it cause the family is usually so distraught to know where to turn and go to for help to stop it from happening again. I will still try to figure out ways to help others even if it is just stating what happened to my mom. Not everyone has heard what happened.

Falls happen, and hindsight is always 20/20.
Given her COPD and chronic pain issues the morphine was probably a reasonable med to try. Not everyone on it will suffer from delirium, and given her history with another opioid medication I would think it was less likely to expect her to have any severe side effects.
I understand your outrage when those you have entrusted to care for your loved one have let you down. Navigating the health care system can be like walking a maze with a blindfold on, never sure if we are making the right choices. I have often wished for someone to hold my hand and guide my way.
I think you can take comfort from the others here who have had similar stories and a positive outcome. It sounds as though your mom is being taken care of now and is being kept comfortable?

Flowgo, your post reflects what you think about your own situation; it would be very rare and unprofessional for medical staff to "probably want your loved one to die". Others have good experiences from highly trained hospice staff. Your situation is different and the community here understands that, and has expressed that you go for help because for you to keep rehearsing it here does harm to yourself. It is not good for you and helps no one to continue writing your experience with the thought of changing the medical care system. Please align yourself with others who are already successful at advocating against the medical care system, if you must. Dear girl, take care of your heart and mind.