My uncle is 90 and has balance and mobility disabilities and incontinence. My aunt is 87 and has short term memory loss and can wander off. They need help, either someone to live in, or come in from 8am to 8pm, or to find an affordable assisted living home. They need evaluation and placement. They would prefer to stay in their home but it has become an impossible situation for their son and daughter-in-law to care for them. He is a Veteran of WWII. What is available?
Kathy Kepner

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Your cousins need to become their POA. That will give them access to medical records and financial accounts. They need to make sure their finances are in order and assets are safe.
In terms of living arrangements and care they can: live with a family member, choose an ALF, or hire in-home care. Hiring someone to do personal care and household maintenance may be a good way to start. Eventually, they will need more assistance. Is their son living nearby? Regardless of their placement, family needs to be involved in their care.
There is an Aid and Attendance benefit for veterans. There are several websites that explain qualifying. There is a lot of paperwork and gathering of records so it is best to start on it sooner than later. It takes a long time to hear back from the VA. IMHO I would find a reliable company to help with the paperwork...they know the ins and outs of the process. Ask your local ALF who they use.
good luck
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter