Home being deeded to my son upon my death which will avoid probate court. Any advice?

I put my son in my will to be put on the deed of my home , which is paid for, upon my death, which will avoid probate court.I worked for many years, and I have also used food stamps, medical benefits, ssi for some from trauma from an ex husbands family being so cunning ,

I have read that my son will not be billed for my use of the medical, food, and ssi. I will be on social security this year, and can work some, and hope to. I told my lawyer and he knows the law well,. I want to be sure, as the home was left to me by my Dad. Thanks It will be one less worry. With the time off, I overthought, and mostly now I dont, but I want to know the will is fine for him . He lives here, and has made my life easier by all he does to belp. If you know, please send back information. Thanks, again

21

Answers

1 2 3
Thanks so much, your help is so awesome. I will check into all the pros and cons. Please keep in touch, and I will pay foward in whatever way I can to help others, how you have belped me, with this information. I love this website. I am using my kindle, hoping I can access this when I need it, havent looked if it can be printed, yet. Sorry for the long story, about detail, all true, guess, I am so determined to make it known at times, maybe to me, not sure, that it was such a betrayl, and never thought I would have had something to encounter like that, but it is the past, and now is now, and I do have a counselor, anyway, thank you, again, Mary in OH

There are lots of reasons for burnout, as the caregivers here can testify. Among the reasons are a lack of success in facilitating change in the client, client relapse, compassion fatigue, disgust at the consequences of clients issues (drug addicts, for example may abuse and neglect their children, prostitute themselves, commit criminal acts while under the influence or to obtain money to feed the dragon), and on it goes. Some jobs require long hours, weekend shifts and on it goes. And you just can't make it better for everyone, no matter how great your intentions and skills. Talk to several people in the field before you decide to do it.

Thank you, so much, ,I have a hairdresser license, but I about burned out doing it, at 45, seems my sensitive nature is some of the reason, as well as all the ones you stated. Yes, my social security alone is not as much as if I worked solidly before. I was home with my kids doing mary kay, and the hairstyling was lots of hours making no money, thinking that was the way they get started, and I was pretty much there as backup for the owners for walk ins, even theirs. But with my clientel growing, was when my marriage was the worst, and I pretty much would not have made it, bp so high. Wrong diagnoses, inlaws non communicators, mess. Thanks for the information about the salvation army, I will read it, and the rate of problems with burn out in the counselor position,assistant. You are so much help. My Dad was an officer in the Army, WWII, I was just thinking about how he was so disciplined, but this thing isn't being lazy or eben close, and Post traumatic stress is a great deal of it, off and on poor self confidence, I thought jumping in to help my fellow man with the counselling thing would make up for lost time, since my time off, but seeing how the will thing can still stymie a person, maybe I need to rethink, but mostly, just think logically, and know I have always done my best at the time, and forgave the ones that blind sided me at my lowest, endurance point. Thans so much. I appreciate all you have written to me, and if you have time, any more help is so appreciated. Do you know why the burn out rate is so high?, withthe counselor assistants? Just curious, for some reason, being a caregiver, type is not always as stressful, for me, but it could be, and no I habent been in the work force for a while. MaryinOH

Another thought...have you looked into exactly how much you will receive from Social Security at age 62? It may not be a loveable amount. You should also check again in receiving benefits on your previous husband's account. I believe you get the higher of the amount based on your earnings or your percentage of his earnings, not a combination of both.

Ok, let's focus and not jump around too much with the ADD thing getting going. If you get a job why would you not go for one that would actually support you rather than stick with a little SSI? I know that jumping back into the work world is scary and you probably lose the Medicaid. That is not good unless the job has benefits like health and life insurance. However, are you actually ready to go back to work? You probably haven't actually worked too much in the past if you are getting SSI instead of SSDisability. Too busy with the kids and all the other issues along the way. Instead of trying to go back to work how about contacting an organization like Goodwill? The reason they collect all those donations and sell them is to raise money for their work programs. They train people and get them into the workforce. Also, reconsider going into a helping profession like dealing with addictions. There is a huge burnout factor in the helping jobs. Try something that is not as emotionally draining.

Oh, I exercize now, am stronger, older and wiser, but was stuck this cold winter, frying to get this right, and dug a rut, thank you, please keep in touch, I will pay it forward, always have, but I got so that I needed my energy for me and my kids, and thatis about it, lost frack of a few friends, but them, me too. Bless.mary

Thank you so much. I am a visual learner, this helps, I just hope I can save it, lol, it is on my kindle. My shrink that finally diagnosed me with ocd, add, correctly two years ago, says I am ok to work, I will read what you said about how much to work. I just ate about half a pound of chocolate with sea salt, lol, and told myself it is time to go back to the counselor, and stop isolating and staying in my head. You are a doll. I appdeciate your help so much. I have a so called friend that said when her brother died , they billed her sixty thousand after her died to pay back some of his expenses, but I dont doubt that he had a lot of assets, some friends that he maybe screwed over, and I dont even know any of the details. Maybe her accounts with him were too large, who knows, and I dont cade, but I needed the ssi, because at the time I was misdiagnosed with major depression, and never was depressed, just speculated why my evil inlaws tried to take my shine away, and see me unhappy and less than them because I refused to sell my home and move my two prior kids in with them, and when I refused, they wanted me to put my noncommunicating husband on my deed, and I did ask my lawyer, and he said no. He said my Dad had asked if he should leave it to us both and the lawyer said no, just me, his daughter. I will read the last part of what you said about working, I called where I can become a drug counselor assistant, from a class online, and make a difference, with a 40 hr course, but will I lose my medical, because I will still be on ssi for a small portion of my monthly pay? I need the ins, and rx, and maybe I will only get part time. SSI, SS guy, said worst could happen, would be, I would lose ssi, little part, they could threaten to take away benefits, I could contest, and they probably would let it go, because it takes a while, and at 65, I can collect my ex's ss, and mine, I think, but I thought he said something about me being on medicaid, I wanted to take notes, but he said I was making something hard out of something easy, do you know what he was talking of? I also used food stamps and a medical card for a bit after my first divorce when I had two babies, thank you for listening. They said I was depressed all that time and they were wrong. I was obsessed, blaming myself for everything whether my fault or not, and my blood pressure was over the top, went to hair school, worked twelve or more hr days, panic attacks, came home, no money, long hours, sneaky husband, panic attacks, wrong meds, blaming me for everything, asked him to leave , he wouldn't , and when he finally did, his mom and he acted like I was the screw up, and my Dad paid our rent , he did nt have job , til after my dad died, and then his mom started, when I did not do what she wanted, she tried to break me down when I got him out, and I froze, got fat and spun thought. Why the figuring out comes later not sure, but you are a huge belp. An angel. Thank you. Tell me anymore you have time to about the work thing. I have always referred people to help, jobs, but when I dropped him, they tried to act like their son was so much better, and I have no idea why they were so deviceive. The other day, I realized if it took at least eight of them to make up one brain to try, to stop me, I must have been a threat. I know I am on my way, now, and you are all hlping. Excuse typos, Mary in OH.

Your son will never be made to pay back your Food Stamps. Zero chance. I've worked in welfare in the last few years, as well 45 years ago. I know this. Next, SSI, I have never, ever heard of a third party (your son) having to pay back any other person's SSI. If you are worried about that call Social Security 1-800-772-1213, or go on ssa.gov and look for yourself. Now Medicaid is iffy. Have you been in a long term care facility, a nursing home? If not don't worry about it. You or your son will not have to pay anything back. Now, for the long view. Someday, way down the road, you may again need Medicaid for nursing home care. If you die, then the above post about the state having a claim on the house with a higher priority than your son is correct and he would not likely get the house. So now you can obsess about that possibility down the road. Now there might be a reason to set up a trust early on, put the property in the name of the trust, and name your son as a successor trustee (after you) and successor beneficiary. Here's where you need a lawyer. Talk to the lawyer now and be sure you understand the answers.
And good for you for being recovered enough to look for work again. Get a job with an outfit that offers group life insurance with the option to voluntarily sign up for more than the minimum they offer. Insure yourself big time and name your son or trust as beneficiary. Maybe he can use that to help get his own house!

Thanks, you both are a breath of fresh air to this ocd, add overthinker. So OH allows the house transfer on death deed to my house to my son? Is there any way , that he will be billed for my food stamps, medical, or ssi use or should I take my document to an elder law attorney, for second opinion? See what three obsessing for a couple three months can do? I think it is time to stop, and get about job hunting, but you are so appreciated. I will send wording when I get the document, or maybe if you could just anzwer what you think about what I asked, ran out of my focus med til coming wk, can u tell, lol. Thanks. Mary in OH. I told the dog today that I should have been Einstein, I am smart, it is just, I can reitterate a topic for notstop, seems I can with some, but other topics, I punish me, enough. God bless. Mary in OH

Debralee is correct, but I checked and Ohio does.

1 2 3