Do holidays get easier?

It seems without parents living, my siblings no longer want to get together.

12

Answers

I am a caregiver for my 84-year old mom with Alzheimer's. I am finding the holidays keep getting worse actually. What helps her and all of us is a routine, which the holidays disrupt. That is the toughest part. As to the holidays, long ago I gave up on things like outdoor lights, but I still get a tree. I have no idea why, it is just something we did. She is gone downhill so much in the past year, and her ability to communicate and understand keep deteriorating. She is almost to the point where she can't dress herself, she needs a lot of help. But I have still got Christmas sweaters and things on her. I am so looking forward to January and moving past these two miserable "holiday" months.

Thank you all for your answers. May 2014 bring a few blessings to all of us and those that we care for.

It is hard to get siblings together once they marry. I have been doing all the cooking for the last 20 years and I love doing it. Family members have moved to different parts of the country so we are down to only 4 people. My in-laws are traditionalists and will not do anything that is against the traditions the parents started. None of the in-laws will come to our home for the holidays.

I think the bottom line is that it all changes as we grow up and the older we get the more it changes. Make your own traditions, enjoy what you have, invite others who are alone to come to your house for dinner. It really is a grieving process.

Am really having a hard with the holidays this year as we lost my mother in September after she was with hospice for a few months. We just donated her lift chair and shower chair to them today and it really got to me and maybe my dad, too. Just still not sure how to deal with losing her even now especially this time of year and also with my poor dad as am still trying care of him as well. Feel kind of lost and have been in a little denial still. Lost some of the anger and feel sad now, stay isolated a lot and try to avoid the subject. Also, don't want to bring my loved ones down. Ugh.

BAHHUMBUG

start some new traditions for yourself, treat yourself to a vacations or retreat if possible. Invite/host people who serve in a soup kitchen over for your own dinner.

I'm feeling better about the holidays, it is time to start new traditions and not dwell on the past. I don't know why my siblings acted the way they did and I will probably never understand and I need to realize that I can't fix it. We will spend time with those who want to spend time with us and move on.

I look forward to the day that I don't have to worry if any of my siblings are going to visit my Mom on Christmas!

When my Mom is gone I say "good riddens"!

Ismiami, I can relate to you. I used to hang the lights, cook food, shop, invite everyone making sure to have it at a time everyone could attend so Mom and Dad could have a great Christmas. As they got older, less people came but it was still a get together. I feel bad for my kids who are college age, it's just us now, my siblings have kids who are in their thirties and they don't invite us. I love all of my siblings and nieces and nephews, I just feel left out I guess. I just have to accept that things are different, appreciate my kids and hope that it gets easier.

This definitely happened in my family. After my mom died in 2004, my siblings haven't gotten all together to celebrate big holidays. Really sad. My dad feels so alone and left out. My mom always made a point to have everyone get together. Since she's died, every has gone their separate ways....with the exception of this past Thanksgiving...I had three of my other sisters together....but they were only doing it because they know it was probably his last!