Does anyone really care if I'm lonely during the holidays?

It is Christmas day and I am trying so hard not to cry and just be grateful that I have my mother with me dementia and all. Jusst enough food for her to eat. I will eat ceral and smoke cigarettes! Invited to a friends house but cant leave my mother alone,dont have a car so I cant take her out too cold. She is up in her room staring at a picture of her mother and father, crying. Thats the only memory she can see because her other 2 children have not come to see her and I have no pictures. I have no life,job,money or real friends. My daughter has not ccome to take us to her house for dinner but I guess she has her own family and life. How long can I indure this? Am I gonna ever be happy? Am I ever gonna get on my feet. I cant give presents to my grandchildren but I think they understand. God has already written my path, I just hope I dont leave this worl before I see what happiness he has in store for me. I am so lonley, and my mom is too but I cant even help her get through because I cant help myself get through.

24

Answers

1 2 3
Its hard. If I could fastforward to January I would. I even find it difficult to go to church on holidays because everywhere around me I'm surrounded by families which makes me feel more alone. My kids are out of state, my mother doesn't know what day it is, never mind a holiday and even though I've said many times to extended family that I'm alone on Christmas Eve (I spent Christmas Day with my parents), not one cousin has invited me to their home. Ok so that's my story. This year I'm going to volunteer to sing carols at a local nursing home on Christmas morning. Other than that...on the other hand, my mother is still alive. One day I know she won't be and I will probably be kicking myself I was so depressed while she was with us. Hope you found your answer to this issue. I haven't yet.

I cared for my mother for four years, then she was in a NH for three years. An only child, I've lived alone most all my life. I live in the country and Christmas will be just me and my critters, a meal, warmth and old movies in peace and quiet. If we are caregivers or former caregivers, perhaps on Christmas day we can each pop in here and post. You are never truly alone.

My sister moved out of state a year ago. I take the bus to her house to spend the holidays and this gives me something to look forward to. I have been accepted at a couple of senior housing complexes near where she lives; it's just a matter of time when an apartment becomes available for me, and then I will be off.

I really care,too! Please don't feel alone. You know you can come here & cry your heart out, rant & rave, or share 30 seconds of something you found funny. I'm in a slightly different situation,yet surprising like yours . I am a professional caregiver, so I get a double whammy. Me being with people's loved one somehow gives the
family a "right" that don't have to "go through the "job" of having to visit. Now, I have made the choice, kinda, to work the holidays so I do provide goodness to these people's loved ones, but it does take me away from my own family. I have the luxury of going home after work...but rarely do they wait for me to start the festivities. I know it's a trade off, but focus on what you have....& you have the best because you have God's love and care. Bless you as you travel through this difficult time.

It's 5 years since this thread was started by a lonely person. I hope it's gotten better for that person. Holidays can be SO hard; when it's just you, the caregiver, and the person you care for, and they are not able to go anywhere else, and often there is nowhere to go anyway. That's hard enough on a regular day, but holidays can be awful. I try to spread the word to at least give caregivers a call now and then, but especially on holidays.

Hey editors - can you delete the post about the holidays being done away with and keep the one where I just hop on the bus to go to my sister's house in the Poconos?

I used to not look forward to the holidays but now I do - I just purchase a ticket for the bus and hop on the bus to go to my sister's house in the Poconos where I have about a two or three day stay, and I enjoy myself to the max. It is a bummer because I cannot take my pet cat on the bus with me, and does he whine and fuss when I leave! He is always happy to see me when I get home and he just jumps right in my arms when I get home!

Why can't the holidays be done away with? I never married nor had children, and I do not attend church as I am not interested in attending

I understand this thread is 3 years old. If the original poster reads this, please keep us updated as to how you're doing.

everybody is different i guess. im sitting here with a handfull of 3 inch screws and a fully charged screw gun. if somebody comes to visit me ill screw the door shut from the inside. suckers !!
merry go away, an an extended dont come back. lol

1 2 3