Does anyone have suggestions on hobbies for dad?

My dad is 87 and doing great! Lost his wife last November 2011. I'm his POA and the one who is making sure he has meals and outings. He drives his new 4 wheel drive truck! My dad worked in construction for 30 years, so often I go over and he has moved all his furniture around! I'm talking a sleeper sofa! At first I totally freaked out but he said he has to keep his strength up. wow! Anyway, I work full time so I go to dinner with him on Friday nights, have him over on sunday for dinner and Wednesday night we go to play a bingo type game at a club. But he needs a hobby. He doesn't read much, 8th grade graduate. I just want to know of a hobby that he would like doing. He has a defib so can't be around electronics. Any ideas? I thought about model cars but he said no. Also no to puzzles. He keeps watching old videos of their vacations. I think it would be kind of depressing for him but he likes watching them. Thanks for listening.

18

Answers

I bought him a Kindle for games and he never used it. He said you might as well take it home. I tried to get him to play everytime I went over there. No interst in computers. I did buy him boxes for photos but not sure if he worked on that yet. He just likes to tinker especially outside. I wish it would warm up here.

oh, ps, one of he things we did was give him all the family pics, and asked him to scan them, catalogue them, and date them. he has spent hours and hours and hours doing this, plus it is his past, so he thoroughly enjoys it. he spends ages making cd's, usb sticks, dropbox files of family pics. if your dad keeps watching vacation movies, maybe he would find something like this therapeutic and fun?

my fil tinkers as well, doesn't read much either, not one for socialising, and although he used to have animals, hates our cats and is constantly kicking them away. we give him something to do everyday, eg: he surfs the internet all day, so we give him 'things' to research, eg: which universities offer the courses my daughter wants to sign up for, comparing prices of items across a few web sites. we give him small jobs to fix, eg: fixing the doorbell, or changing the lightbulbs. my husband has two 'technical' projects going with him - one is a water project for moniotoring the irrigation in the garden - and he has been tinkering with that for 'launching' in spring, ( if the sun ever returns). they have a 'meeting' at night, fil feedbacks his progress that day, and hubby gives him his 'tasks' for the next day. he potters on these things for a few hours a day, seems to work in our situation.

I need to clarify on that pet plan at Banfield inside of Petsmart, it's $31.95 a month. Worth every penny.

How long do you mourn? That is completely up to the individual. After my father died, the three of us children were completely aware that N. was not ever going to be the type to be alone. She is quick to feel lonely and ALWAYS VERY needy. We loved our daddy and we knew that he loved her and would want her to be happy. So the three of us kids sat her down and told her that we had no problem with her dating when she was ready to do so. She began experimenting with dating a little over two months later. It was hard on my little sister who was still at home, N. dated some real losers for a while. Eight years later she married a really wonderful man, four years later he died of cancer. That was hard on the kids, they really loved Grandpa Bill. Sixteen years later she is dating again. She isn't a part of my life anymore, so I won't be meeting this gentleman.

Hmmm? A Handy Dandy Fix it Honey. Get him a new tool belt! xo

No she wasn't my mom and didn't include us in their family picnics, ect. Although her family now that she is gone they have been very kind and invited us! So although I feel bad for him I have my dad back!

since he still drives, maybe going to a senior center or helping widowed senior ladies. Look up the program seniors helping seniors. He could go to the ladies homes and help them do small repairs and things in their homes.

Hey gowest222, the older they are, the faster they need to mourn and get on with living. Absolutely NO Disrespect intended. If he is that healthy, he needs a companion. If the last wife was not your Mother, then faster still. Lol. Am I bad?
I lost my precious Dad when I was 21, and if it were him we were speaking of, I would give him my permission and Blessing. You are a lucky daughter:) xo

I laugh about the girlfriend! When you are 87 and lost your wife 1 1/2 years ago how long do you have to mourn before you start dating again? lol! He never was much of a pet person but I wish he would get a small dog or cat. Oh well. My husband said how about a talking parrot! I should have signed him up for the health center to walk,. He goes to the doctor on April 4th to talk to cardio they wanted to do a angioplasti but I think we freaked out when he went to the hospital and told them no. So I'm not going to push walking right now. Thanks for your ideals!!

First, he needs a girlfriend. That will solve a lot, if you know what I mean:)
Maybe get in touch with construction companies in his area for consulting or equipment security. Something he knows and could be helpful at. Contact community college and see if they have construction program/classes he could
assist. Maybe he could take up golf? Good exercise. Yay, Dad! xoxo