How do I hire private full time nurse and rent all medical equipment?

20

Answers

OK, just know they were requested a lot where I worked because they weren't covered. Very few were ever donated. My daughter is looking for one for a patient in rehab where she works. I've been retired for five years. Best thing...call Medicare.

JoAnn29: Medicare covered Rollator Walkers in 2013/14. I know this for a fact because I made the mistake of not getting the script from my late Mother's doctor. Then when I spoke to Medicare I was told "it would have been covered by us if you had the doctor's script, e.g. sign off.

Usually when ordering you go thru an equipment place. These peopleshould be able to help you determine what will be covered. If being discharged from a hospital or rehab, they will order for you but make sure you understand what ur cost will be before signing anything. They must have an authorized signature. When my Mom was in the hospital I told her not to sign anything. I already had most of the equipment she needed at work.

Medicare sends out a book every year explaining what is covered. Anyone on Medicare should have this book. Part B covers Durable equipment. If u don't have part B Medicare won't pay. This is whatthe book says on page 52:

Medicare covers: oxygen equipment and supplies, wheelchairs, walkers, hospital beds ordered by a doctor or other healthcare provider enrolled in Medicare for use in the home. Some items must be rented. You pay 20% of the Medicare approved amount and part B deductable applies.

I don't think Medicare covers Rollator walkers. I worked for a Visiting Nurse facility and all that ever got donated was the plain walkers. Those with special features, like a seat and brakes, were not covered. Maybe by private insurance but not Medicare. We loaned equipment. I had a women come in who knew what Medicare would cover and not cover. She leased what she knew her husband would need temporarily because if he got one thing thru Medicare he couldn't get another.

Megan: Absolutely-suppporting documents!

Believe it or not, it isnt as easy as one might think it is to get equipment. Yes, the doctor has to write an RX. However, somethings like a wheelchair need supporting documents by the doctor. Nowadays, it for difficult to get things you need.

1RareFind: While that's true that Medicare (I know your words were "insurance") will cover it, you must first get her doctor to write a script, else it won't be covered. I know this first hand because my late Mother's 96 year old cousin, who lived in another state, said "just order a Rollator walker; Medicare covers it" (that was the item my late mother needed). The cousin was incorrect and I learned the hard and expensive way. My mom's doc told me if I had asked her first, she would have written out the the script, e.g. RX and Medicare would have covered it.

Everyone can get one wheelchair paid for by medicare during their lifetime. They will also pay for bed rental if there is a medical need for it such as congestive heart faliure requiring patient to sleep with head up. Walkers van usually be obtained from senior centers. They take in donated ones and give out to those needing. Same with bedside comode, shower chair and raised toilet seats. If you need caregiver try hiring private. I work as private and the cost is much less. If you need an RN the price will be pretty high but if finances are not problem you can find many good people in this profession. Best of luck to you.

I'm not sure if this is for you or for someone else, but the patient's insurance should be covering this, that's what insurance is for. If they have no insurance, now would be a good time to get some. If the patient is eligible, they can get Medicaid. Medicaid is available to patients getting federal benefits. You start the process of getting Medicaid through your local department of human services. The patient is ineligible, you'll probably have to shop around for health insurance. While you're shopping around for insurance, it would also good idea to start a preneed through a local funeral home where you can get funeral coverage.