How can caregivers help each other locally?

When I am finished with treatment I would love to figure out a way to network with local caregivers. I would love to surprise a stressed caregiver with a coupon book for intervals of "breaks", or housecleaning, or grocery shopping. Heck, just sitting with their care receiver while the care giver goes for a walk or takes an uninterrupted bubble bath! But how do I start that? Just caring people looking out for each other, no degrees necessary? Any thoughts?

14

Answers

Treatment time, I think that's a great Idea there are a lot of people on here most are still care giving and a few such as myself are not after loosing my younger brother almost eight months ago after him being on hospice the last three years of his life. I helped with his care my whole life, he had cerebral palsy never could walk we were told he wouldn't live past age seven, well he made it to age 44. Best Friend I ever had ever will, I don't know what to do with myself. People on here should go by town / city they live in & kinda take it from there, people do need a break from care giving sometimes depending on the situation etc. Just a thought. :-)

Tell you what, I'll do a drive by, pick you and your mom up, shock a sibling by skidding into their driveway sideways, open the door, deposit mom gently onto their lawn, and speed away before they can get my license plate number. Now remember, you need to be ducking while we do this so that you are not recognized. We might wrap granny in a few pillows for safety. HA HA!

Then I will take you to a Spa for a full day of massage, facial, and other beauty treatments after stopping by Starbucks for your favorite coffee or tea. If you feel more adventurous, we shall hit a local brewery and grab a growler of craft beer instead. *VERY BIG GRIN* We can have manicures and pedicures, we can sit in a sauna or jacuzzi and get a tiny bit drunk. :D doesn't that sound fekking AWESOME!

yes capnhardass, sometimes people do. i hate that. or i might like it. depends on the person involved.

PamelaSue - I laughed. My siblings also won't change pampers. They're willing to babysit but draw the line at changing pampers.
Capn - next time (if there is a next time) - have them write an IOU.

I, too, would hesitate in accepting help if the person asking has NO caregiving experience. But it would be nice to have that kind of help/support.

ill fix your taillights and tie rod ends if youll give me a bubble bath. i know this isnt what you had in mind but im a guy. i never stop trying..
joking aside, i fixed the hell out of a hospice workers automobile and she was supposed to give me some respite from caregiving in return. it didnt happen, she turned me down both times i asked. people suck iz what im sayin..

I will be honest about something, I do not believe myself capable of changing adult diapers. You guys can go ahead and bash me now. I know that this is a really horrible thing for me to say. I know I am less than all of you. I am embarrassed. But I would like to be able to help somehow.

You will never believe this treatmenttime, I was thinking the same thing this morning.

I love the couch surfing idea.

I'd love to host and to be hosted. But, in the meantime, I have been considering a caregiving coop. Pair me and my husband with someone in a situation similar to ours. Then we take turns, taking care.
In my case, my hubby has dementia, cannot be left alone, hates a day care center, and loves company. It would be easy to have your spouse spend half a day in my care. And it would be good of you to host my hubby for a few hours.

Wow treatmenttime I got a hug post from you yesterday and I felt your LOVE. Now I am feeling it again you are truly a selfless person. As most of on this site are, we are not happy unless we are good to others. I often think of this "caregiver relief" idea. I often offer people advice and guide them to this site when I see a need for it. This idea has crossed my mind. As a hairdresser I lose some customers to hospitals...assisted living....and NH's. I let people know if you need me just ask. They never do then they get into a situation where it's too late or a crisis happens. Now I am like a magnet... I've got customers who trust me more than family so they "spill it to me" I get their side of the story. I don't think people are used to people like us and do not trust a person who offers help without looking to gain! So the problem is getting people to realize they need us, and they can trust us!!! Forgive my french but SH--!!! My own sister does not get that I needed help with out her wanting money!!! On top of that sister cry's to our Dad who hasn't been married to Mom in 30 years and he hears her but not me. I do not get them at all they think I am gaining something, when I spend my time, my money, my energy, all in Mom's benefit. My life is on hold and they take vacations and have nice things and I'm stagnant but still would not trade my life for theirs. I want you all to be my new family!!! I was losing hope in the human race until I found this group of people on here, that put lives before their own and money isn't our first priority. I would love to give anyone a break from their care giving to make and elder smile and a care giver have a rest because I know I needed that and begged and fought and I am still being treated as if I was asking to much and had any other choice!!!!

News Articles

Posted 11:07 PM 8/15/2012 : Volunteer group helps elderly neighbors stay in their homes

TUCSON - For 15 years volunteers in the Old Fort Lowell Neighborhood have helped the elderly remain independent.

From transportation and meals out, chores and companionship, all services are donated by volunteers.

For Irene Olson mobility isn't what it used to be.

That's where volunteer Kay Anderson comes in. "I just want to pay it forward a little bit, and have some credits out there when I need help."

The pair go to the market every other week.

Irene Olson says, "I wouldn't be able to shop because of my eyes. I had to give up driving."

Irene says a friendship has bloomed, it started with a mutual love of rhubarb pie and a card game. "We play poker regularly, I don't know if I'll be investigated on this," she laughs.

From poker to dominos. Bernice Kyle and Eva Ervin have a regular game.

"I look forward to every Tuesday afternoon, one o'clock," Bernice says smiling. She's a volunteer.

"It means that I have someone to talk to at least one afternoon a week. I spend a lot of lonely hours here by myself," Eva says the weekly visits allow her to remain self sufficient and feel young.

"Although I've celebrated my 99th birthday, I can still stay here my myself," she said.

"Lots of laughs, we have a good time together," says Bernice. She is one 62 volunteers, helping 47 clients.

To participate in the program you must live within the boundaries of the Old Fort Lowell neighborhood.

Rillito River on the North, Pantano wash to the East, Grant Road on the South and Swan Road to the West.

Several neighborhoods around Tucson have this program. Fort Lowell was the first, and the others are modeled after it.

For more information on how to get involved contact the Pima Council on Aging.