Is there help or reduced taxes for seniors so they can still live in their home?

Help with property taxes for seniors.

15

Answers

Susan: In my mother's town of Westford, Massachusetts, she qualified for many rebates=real estate tax deferral, historic home rebate, fuel assistance rebate and more.

Most municipalities have tax exemptions for seniors or at least reductions.

Susan, as others have stated many cities have property tax help for seniors and low income residents. Detroit for example has a large reduction for low income residents. You just need to call your city offices and inquire. Also came tax time if your state has property tax credits as Michigan does then by all means file your return even if your income does not require you to do so. After 11 years at tax office I saw many clients who only filed a state return for just that reason as they were not required to file federal and most of them were seniors on ss only.

FF, it is true, I'm in Virginia also and it was very involved but we finally were able to get it for my parents a few years ago. I think it's reviewed every three years if I recall. I'd like them to downsize too as they all but have a meltdown these days when they see a bill of any kind.

Here in my county in the Commonwealth of Virginia, one has to qualify for any property tax relief. It's quite complex. I am a senior and don't qualify, neither does my Dad with his house. But the Commonwealth does give a nice tax break on State income taxes for seniors :)

One has to take a long hard look at one's budget and if one can continue to afford to age at home. It might be easier to downsize and move into something much more affordable because with a home something is always in need of repair.

In our small town, the city council voted to allow my Dad exempt from taxes due to his age and his vet status. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Your answer is yes if you live in Massachusetts. My mom qualified for so many-tax rebate, meals on wheels, SNAP, fuel assistance, historic home and more. Fill out the app and they consider you based on your income.

You need to go to the towns local Tax collector. There r decutions for being in the military. There may be tax freezes. But this should have been done at 65. Now it may not be alot. May get something if a widow.

Yes, also check with your state's social service agency. NC also has programs that help pay for your power bill, insulation for your home and even repair and replacement of central air and/or heat pumps, if you qualify.

Check your state's treasury department website to see if there are credits for the elderly and disabled, and sometimes veterans.

While not specifically taxes, utilities in our area offer reduced elderly rates as well as shutoff plans to avoid shutting off of services.