My mother fractured her pelvis on July 6, 2013. She spent most of the summer in rehab. (After being sent home too early from one rehab, incurring more fractures and catching C-Dif) I finally got her into a better place but once she was healed and physically rehabilitated, I was told Medicare would know longer cover her stay there. She was still on isolation and had diarrhea all day long. I could not care for her in our home so...In the meantime, I managed to move to a new home where she wouldn't have to worry about stairs any more and the bathroom has walk-in shower but was unable to move in before racking up a lot of private pay. Now I have a bill for over $6000. Can I appeal Medicare's decision successfully and where do I begin? Her doctors are very willing to help.
Since she's been released I had some home care but the physical therapist discharged her from care, so the 6 hours a week with a home health aide have been yanked and now I am trapped again. She still has C-Dif after tons of antibiotics. Symptoms are under some control with Imodium and pro-biotics but she is definitely home-bound and dependent on me for toileting. I am so frustrated because she caught this horrible bug when she was supposed to be getting better and now we are expected to pay for it too! She does not qualify for Medicaid at this time as she is blessed to have some income and assets. I welcome any insights or advice on this situation. I feel helpless and alone and am grateful for this forum.