Dad has always done his taxes and now I am stuck with it and have no info. What can I do?

Dad has always done his taxes and now I am stuck with it and have no info. What can I do??? Please help!!!!!!!

Thanks

20

Answers

For those who are wondering about S.S. benefits, taxable or non-taxable, begin with your statement from the Feds, Form SSA-1099 and RRB-1099 ( if you are or were a railroad employee). Enter the entire amount on Line 20A. Then, use the worksheet to determine "Taxable Amount" if you do not use the software from Turbo Tax or H&R Block. The booklet from the IRS is helpful which contains The Worksheet. The exemption does change a little bit each year, so find the 2014 Booklet......Library or IRS office. Pub 17 is still the best .

Hi there. First of all....deep breaths! Deep breaths! I had to do this once, but luckily we are on the low end of upper middle class. If you are higher - get a CPA! I used one of those programs (H&R Block) and filed it for him. Interestingly, even with that "dinky" program, I found more deductions in an hour than he did spending a whole weekend of grumbling while I was growing up.

Just do your best and as they say, "document, Document, DOCUMENT." If you're unsure of what to answer, contact the IRS either online or telephone. They're actually quite helpful. I did it. Better to be safe than sorry. Best to you!

At least go thru the forms and find out.....you might find out you have a refund coming..... Keep a record that you at least worked thru the form 1040 or EZ. in many states where there's income taxes (most states I think) you have to reference line X or line Z from the federal form, and what are you gonna put in your state form, if you didn't file your federal form already?

I freaked out too - find an accountant. Then organize all receipts and income; house mortgage interest (?) is a big deductible as well are medical expenses (including elderly people conveniences, ie bedside potty chairs, bibs for use
during meals....

Most of all, keep calm and look forward!

I freaked out too! n accountant has been most helpful.
First, please organize receipts and checbooks.

Pam Stegman, It's late here in the Eastern Time Zone, and I don't have time to research your statements. HOWEVER, I'll search the 1040 tomorrow and the U.S. Tax Code in reference to Social Security benefits within all filing status levels (there are only four). That said, I plan to e-mail your statements to the ole accountants on Monday. Can't wait to hear their response.

N1K2R3 per 1040 instructions: "Do not include any social security benefits unless (a) you are married filing a separate return and you lived with your spouse at any time in 2013 or (b) one-half of your social security benefits plus your other gross income and any tax-exempt interest is more than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly)."

Yeah, he has to file, Pam. S.S. is considered income.

Well, the new forms for the Year Ending December 31, 2014 are out today, and as usual there are some nice things and some not-so-nice things. My suggestion, just purchase TurboTax Basic, Deluxe (preferred), or Premiere (only if you own a business). Follow the questions, and answer them to the best of your ability. Hint: If you do your own Schedule A, you can save a lot of time and money when you turn over the finished product to your accountant. All he has to do is check the facepage of the 1040, and the credits, verify income and lo! You're done!

I have liked TurboTax for my business taxes, our family's taxes, and now also use it for my parents. We also do our SIL's taxes, and room for one more (the version I buy will do up to 5 returns). You can register the returns for audit protection plan too. Each year, the program can be updated, and it "remembers" from one year to next which I find helpful.

If all he has is SS, he probably doesn't even file taxes. Call the IRS for help or go to irs.gov