Help taking control of Mom's finances and rent an apartment for her. Advice?

She is being evicted and lost her car. She refuses to let me do anything for her.

21

Answers

1 2 3
Net Care said they would try to talk to her. She does like doctors. I can not force her to go. She does not have to leave her house until the end of February. I have asked relatives to help talk to her. They are not able to see how depressed she is feeling. She has given up and I can not step in legally and help her.

Sadgirl; are there any developments?

Make an apt with her dr or have your dr make a referral to a physician who deals with elders...explain that you want both physical and mental evaluation. Insist on it!

Call APS and tell don't tell them mom is "okay", insist APS make a home visit and try to be present. They should be able to put in place an emergency plan, maybe a months rent, or find a bed in a group home for seniors, etc.

guardianship is expensive and demanding. You will not gain anything with guardianship and will still bear the burden of having to find her housing, care, etc.

You need outside help and support to help your mom realize and understand her circumstances and help her cooperate to stabilize her living situation.

She may be having a medical or mental crisis that needs to be evaluated. Is this normal behavior for her or completely out of the blue?

Where is she now? Didn't you say she was evicted? Is she sleeping in a shelter or on the street? If APS said to call Net Care, did you call Net Care? You are not giving up on your mom, you cannot make another person do things they do not want to do if they are in their right mind. And proving someone is not in their right mind is a difficult task as it should be. No, this is not an easy situation and I'm sorry this has happened.

APS will not help. If the supervisor decides that my Mom needs help. They might evaluate. They will not do anything about being a guardian. She said to contact Net Care for an evaluation. Everyone is telling me to give up my Mom. Let her hit rock bottom. That seems wrong.

Thank you for your help. I will follow through with your advice. It is a very sad situation. I want to protect and help her, but I will listen to what you have written. Thank you.

Sad Girl, you call the county social services and step back when they pursue protective custody. She will become a Ward of the State. Do NOT take her in.

You are out of options to help her directly, but that's because she won't let you help her. This is not your fault. The best thing you can do is to alert APS. The courts will appoint a guardian. Mental illness is a very sad thing, but again, not your fault.

I am out of options.

Guardianship usually costs $5000. Or so. And comes with a lot of responsibility.

1 2 3