I'm DESPERATE to help my mother quit smoking! Advice?

I'm DESPERATE to help my mother quit smoking! I fully realize that one cannot MAKE another quit smoking, but I want to provide any and all help and support I can! I need to find a SUCCESSFUL quit-smoking program for my 91 year young mother who is still VERY active! She won't go out to attend activities because of her need to smoke, and I want her to be engaged and active with others her age who are like-minded and intellectually involved in life. My mother works on her computer DAILY, and is very attuned to world events. But I don't want her to be alone so often, and although I am at her house daily, I'd like to see her interact with others as well. She already has significant emphysema and COPD, and of course, my greatest fear is that she will develop even more serious disease, such as lung cancer. Can anyone recommend a quit-smoking program that is proven to be effective? I'd REALLY appreciate the help!

14

Answers

Chantix has horrible side effects.. but Wellbutrin (zyban ) is better tolerated. In many areas chantix is not allowed for fire personal (lol) or such. And Zyban is older and may be cheaper. ( I think it is called zyban... I'm a respiratory therapist but in an ICU so I may have the name wrong.. but it is a form of Wellbutrin) I also lost weight on it...

I am trying Chantix at the moment. sadly, while I have cut way back I am still smoking. I guess at 91 I would be more worried about a fire hazard than lungs

Check out Chantix. It may have unpleasant side effects --- insomnia, nightmares, nausea --- but if a person sticks it out, it causes the desire to smoke to gradually diminish until it really isn't that hard just not to take the next cigaret. It's a prescription med, so talk to her doctor.

898luvmymom, now you have some ideas to consider and perhaps try. That is good.

Your goals are excellent. "I want her to be engaged and active with others her age who are like-minded and intellectually involved in life." The health goal is probably too late -- what damage is done is done. But the goal to avoid isolation is wonderful ... if it is her goal. Setting goals for other people seldom works, and when the other person is 91 and addicted, if she is not committed to the goal I don't see much hope.

Go ahead and try to help Mom quite smoking, especially if she wants to. But also accept your limitations here. You didn't get Mom to stop smoking when she was 57 or when she was 73 and it isn't any easier now that she is 91. This is really not under your control. Try to help. Fine. But please don't feel "desperate" and certainly not "guilty" if you are not successful.

Many people face your problem. Do keep us informed as to how this works out. We learn from each other.

im sorry , but at 91 ?
if i live to 91 i hope to make cigars out of physlocybin ( sp ) mushrooms , shredded tires and styrofoam peanuts -- and chain smoke them .
on a more serious note . a widow whom i just met is all flabergasted that her alcoholic , chain smoking hubby died at the age of 75 . freaking DUH !! . first of all he drove a truck for a ( good ) living , and needed the stimulation of tobacco to keep it on the road .
secondly , after getting to know this gal for a few weeks , im convinced that he died because he WANTED to .
yea , shes THAT type . " oh jeBus -- money, jeBus , inheritance , etc ..

I'd like to thank all of you for your kind and thoughtful suggestions! I REALLY appreciate them. My mother is currently trying the nicotine patch, but frankly, they don't seem to be doing as much as I had hoped. I am now looking hard for quit-smoking classes in our area, and although I would expect them to be numerous, I'm not finding many! Still, I will keep trying, because I will ALWAYS want the very best for my mom, and nothing would make me......and HER.....happier than to quit this awful habit! Thank you all again.....VERY MUCH!

Smoking is both physically and mentally addictive. To quit, you have to fight the habits and routines that go with smoking as well as the physical addiction to nicotine. When you stop smoking you'll probably get nicotine withdrawals.
Symptoms of nicotine withdrawal include:Feeling irritable and craving cigarettes Getting hungry easily
Not sleeping well
Headaches, sweats and nausea
Feeling depressed or anxious.
This is really sad, probably nothing will make her stop smoking. Have you tried viper E-cig with the liquid, they have different amount of nicotine like 3,6,12mg.
I can say people like to smoke and having this habit cause the nicotine not other chemicals but in the real cigarette there are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are poisonous. Try get e-cig with the liquid and before you buy, check the nicotine % your mother smoke.

tacy, excellent ideas. When I checked off every non-smoking day on my calendar. I always wanted a cigarette so badly after breakfast. What I did was reserve that time for putting the check mark on my calendar and brush my teeth. This was reinforcing and helped me get past that urge or craving. Lozenges helped a lot when the cravings were particularly bad. Anyone who quits smoking knows what those bad days are like.

Ok this is advice from a former smoker. The addiction is not all nicotine. Its more of a routine/schedule and fixation. First of all, you need to change her routine. There will be certain times she smokes morning, night and doing certain activities. Start off weening her during day by occupying her with other activities. Reduce the amount she smokes everyday until she quits. Replace the cigarettes with something else. personally, it was licorice and pixy sticks. That was the hardest part

Since she wants to quit, I have heard that a combination of reducing the amount day by day coupled with either the nicotine patch or nicotine gum is very effective. I assume she has been smoking for many many years...if she smokes 20 cigarettes a day you could start a wean off process. For example, for the first week she could smoke 18 a day. Then each week drop two off. This gradual reduction, coupled with the gum or the patch when she is down to 10 a day would definitely curb the physical cravings and be a gentle way to stop. However the is also the emotional addiction. Make sure she has something to do with her hands. She could hold licorice whips, do crochet, knit, read, play with a tablet etc. Having idle hands is a very hard thing for a cigarette addict.

I am not a proponent of those electronic cigarettes...studies have shown that the chemicals in them are even worse than real cigarettes!! No need to replace one chemical with another.

Angel