How can I help my Mom minimize getting hemorrhoids?

My mom is 90 years old, suffers from Alzheimer's. She does sit a lot because she's able to walk very much and now she's getting hemorrhoids. What can she or I, as her caregiver, do to stop her from getting them?

20

Answers

Agfoley: The sitz bath is old school, but still works. Glad you got her to the doc and got the cream. Ur welcome!

I agree with all of the above, especially MaggieM. If your Mom isn't cleaning properly after her BM's, you might have another issue going on than hemorrhoids. Have your Dr check her out. Your interventions of Preparation H are good too, if she has them.

@llamalover47...I did take her to the doctor and he recommended OTC ointments, wipes, etc., but I also want to help her avoid getting them as much as possible. I appreciate everyone's comments! The sitz bath recommendation was enlightening since I had never heard of It! I will definitely get my mom to try it because in my online research, I read so many positives comments about it! Thanks!

The elder is probably straining, thus the hemorrhoids. Why haven't you taken the person to the doc or gotten an OTC med?

Juicing Fresh vegtables will clear hemorrhoids! It works :-). Juicing is very hydrating and shrinks the hemorrhoids.

Agfoley, you may want to confirm with the doctor whether they are internal or external hemorrhoids. There is actually minor surgery that can be done to alleviate the discomfort of protracted hemorrhoids (those that drop). In my situation, I am either standing still or sitting for an extended period of time. I am now finding they are giving me problems with my tail bone when I sit down. Cysts can also develop in this area, so you may want to rule that out.

Make sure she eats greens vegs and fruit drinks juice and has coffee in morning not decaf if she needs them stol sofeners won't hurt do a little chair dancing with her in the morning pay some up beat music and do a lille ligh yoga have her with you at same time rub her lower tummy over intestaints this will help them move drink lots of water any way she likes it tea hot cold flavored plain give her some yogurt helps too. Don't over do cheese or bread good food good poop

Nova Homeopathic Hemorrhoid Complex
You may find this product at HBees

Once u have a hemroid I think u always have one. They just swell and hurt. Senna is not a stole softener its a laxative. Colace is the stool softener.

A lot of women have hemorrhoids due to pregnancy that can get worse as we age and sitting a lot tends to make them more painful. And as someone already mentioned - a lot of the medications we're given tend to bring on constipation.

To prevent constipation - I use Metamucil (ground corn husk) capsules (w/calcium), but they come in tasty little 'wafers' too that are great with a nice cup of tea - and WATER. (They're even safe for older dogs as a stool softener to prevent straining. They have some of the same issues lol and they love the wafers. Dosage varies of course).

To help relieve discomfort - Preparation H has ointment, suppositories and 'wipes' that contain vasoconstrictors for relief. I try to stay away from 'gentle' laxatives as they just add yet another chemical into the mix. Good luck.