How do I help Mom hear better on her telephone?

She uses older style hearing aids (she can't manage the newer ones). She can't hear on the telephone...only gets about 10% of the conversation even when I isolate words and speak slowly. We got a special phone from the phone company but it doesn't work any better. We don't know if it is hearing or understanding that's the problem because of her significant dementia. But she calls 7 or so times a day and calls continuously if I don't answer, but she can't hear what I say to her. What to do?

20

Answers

kjn is a spammer. He/she is good at it, making it look like actual parts of the thread and sliding in the company name and services.

Thanks Sophe. You certainly do understand. It really hit me the day after I had driven 80 miles round trip to take her to a hearing aid specialist and get new aids. The next day she told my sister she hadn't seen or heard from me in weeks! She denied ever going to get new hearing aids. That's when I knew for sure that she would never remember much about me. She says thank you when I bring her food and snacks, but I'm sure she has no idea how they got there (or if they are there) five minutes later. Its so sad.

AmyGrace: Boy I know that feeling. It seems that on top of losing their memory, they lose their ability to hear, to read, to communicate. All your hard work, your sacrifices of time and self, they are not remembered. There is no gratitude, no memory, only need. It's tragic. For them, for us. About all that's left is in-person miming, holding hands and smiles. My Mom has no idea how anything arrives in her room, why it does, what it is, what to do with it. She doesn't recognize her great-grandson any more. Checking with staff is probably the best idea. Good luck.

Sophe, its so difficult. Here I am with a broken ankle. I can't drive or walk so I can't visit her. When I visit her, its frustrating, and usually ends up being contentious anyway. I can't phone her. She never calls me. Its as if I don't exist to her any more. It hurts because I've done so much for her over the past five years. I feel like I've abandoned her, I don't know what she is thinking. When she tries to use the phone, she calls my sister, not me (even though it ends the same, she can't hear her and hangs up) Obviously my note didn't work at all. I'll wait until Monday when full nursing staff is there and call to see how she is. That's about all I can do.

AmyGrace, so far the phone assistance people have not come up with a phone for cognitively impaired hard-of-hearing/deaf people. So now I either send a Presto note or call the facility and tell her caregiver whatever the message is. You would think there would be a solution, but I haven't seen one that works with deaf dementia cases.

I'm having the same problem. I haven't talked to Mom in 3 weeks. She doesn't pay attention when we show her how to use the new hearing aids with the phone. She can't hear a word I say because she is pushing the receiver against her lower ear instead of putting it on the hearing aid. I call her, she says she can't hear me and hangs up on me. Her dementia is getting so bad I don't know how to help her. I know she couldn't follow a text phone. She has to keep re-reading a note over and over because she forgets what she read in just a few minutes. I just mailed her a letter with a diagram of how to hold the phone so I can talk to her. She hasn't called me. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

kin1001, those voice to text software are great for the much younger crowd... when you get to our age and the age of my parents [90's] speed reading is out, if one can still see well enough to even read the first line. We can't even keep up with the message crawl that is underneath the TV news :(

Can she read ok? There is some voice to text software, even on cell phones where you can speak and it will type out what she is saying. Of course there are captioned telephones as well where she can use it like a regular phone but she would read out what the other caller is saying. They have some with very large screens too!

kjn1001 Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried an amplified phone from the free phone for the deaf/hearing-imparid people. It just does not work for her and anything the least be technical, even a button, is beyond her. This last week my husband was visiting her because I was out of town and we made a Skype connection for free of course and while she could not understand me, at least she could see me and I mimed a few things toward her. We are going to be down to signing and drawing/writing. Husband was able to interpret what i said. This communications with her just sucks. You need to develop a device that a person with serious mental impairment and hearing loss can use: a video phone with no buttons and the mother of all loudspeakers on it.

Take a look at amplified telephones. We have over 85 of them and some of them will amplify up to 67dB for severe hearing loss.