Insurance denied our request. How can I help my Mom get a portable oxygen tank?

My mom was diagnosed with severe COPD recently. She's been in and out of hospitals and nursing home. She's basically been homeless for many months/years (sleeps on someone's couch and lives with 4 other adults and 5 dogs in a 1000 sft home). She's currently on oxygen 100% of the time and will be the rest of her life. She'd like to go back to work but needs a portable, lightweight oxygen tank. Unfortunately it appears insurance doesn't cover. She can't go back to work and try to get life back on track without this. Anyway you can help me/guide so I can help her get back on her feet?

26

Answers

1 2 3
i am on oxygen 24/7 as i have copd. i need a light weight portable oxygen tank. the one that my provider gave me is just too heavy to carry. i am disabled and have optima health and medicaid. every company i call says they don't accept medicaid. what do i do now? thanks donna

What insurance does she have? If she still has a job to go to, would that company help her at all?

I agree with the smaller concentrator, and most "lifers" have concentrators in the home, not TANKS! really important with high flow usage. I am a respiratory therapist and you need to have a talk with your home care company.. this is dark ages care here.

Another suggestion is to write your congressman or senator some actually care or they're up for election. If they forward it to Medicaid (if your Mom has it) believe me I know it will reach a nurse very quickly & she/he will HAVE t o drop everything and try to resolve your issue. Some elected officials do this for their constituents others don't good luck I know it's none of my business but I'm curious as to why she's on such a high liter flow, it's usually lower for COPD. Does she have anything else?

Kost, just re read this situation and realize telling you to contact the CEO of insurance company is little help to you. I would however try to find out who to talk to that is in charge of your states medicaid program. You may also want to contact the company directly who supplies the 02 tanks to find out if they are willing to help. They may also know of a way around waitinf for the appeals process.

What is the insurance company refusing the 02 tanks? Just read this whole thread....shaking my head! Appeals process takes a long time. I'd go straight to the CEO of this insurance company...... you should see quick action......refuse to speak to anyone but the CEO. You have the toughness in your blood your mother has. They can't refuse her because she is on Medicaid. Keep a record of everyone you talk to dates and times and what was discussed. Praying for you....

Kost there are concentrators you can get at home instead of oxygen tanks. Maybe you could get her one of those to have at work? That way there would be no tanks to deal with at all, at least not in the work place.

I'm confused. If a portable tank would only last a few minutes, is it worth fighting for? Have I misunderstood something?

I'm just curious you don't have to answer if you don't want to but usually COPDrs are on 2 liters Why is her flow rate so high? That could be one of your problems with insurance it's unusual for somebody to go higher than 2L/m if they have COPD. You might need documentation stating why the flow is so high or that she has another condition. I'd still appeal with her insurance then hit dept of public health. Always go for a second opinion from one of their doc's first if they don't agree with you then request a state fair hearing if you go right to the hearing you can't go back for a 2nd opinion & you loose one of your options. Good luck hope you let us know how it turns out

Thank you! All the positive certainly out ways the negative. Pstegman, yes she's on high flow and your totals are pretty dead on. Took her to breakfast for her bday just last weekend and we weren't gone two hours and we had to change tanks and then I had to get her home because she was running out. Agree that money management is definitely needed which is hard. She gets $5 and thinks she's rich. She's been stressed for so many years it has altered her personality. She's been that way her whole life; probably why I'm so anal. I'm not perfect but I've decided I don't want to end up like this. I'll keep everyone posted of outcome.

1 2 3