Help with getting a POA revoked?

My aunt, my father's sister, had him sign a POA in October and in Jan. he was treated for dementia. He has now been placed in assisted living by my aunt, who lives hundreds of miles away.
I was taking care of him for almost a year and my aunt was sending $800 a month to pay for food, etc. but it was not enough. She always denied sending us more money.
Last week, my father got disoriented and decided to strike me with his cane. I called 911 and they took him to a hospital because he was out of control. Now since then, my aunt has placed him in a home and told them not to let me see him.
I want to file for conservatorship, but don't have much money. Do I have any chance of getting my father out of the home and back in his home so I can continue to care for him. I believe my aunt is also misappropriating his money, but don't know how to prove that.

I need help ASAP. Thanks in advance!

23

Answers

1 2 3
Tired 1 of 4 It is HIS money not her money! She does nothing to help him from 3200 miles away. And as others said, we are told to call 911 when a dementia patient is out of control. I didn't have him arrested, I simply called for some help! They made the decision to take him to the hospital, not I.

....correction; "she must be on your father's bank account… Is she?"

To "callen3x" do excuse but on cell phones not all thread "updates are visible in real time, I had written my response not seeing your "explaination of funds. Now that I read your aunt is appropriating your fathers money back to him to pay for his food etc, this story can change to misappropriation if she refuses to give you statements of the spending. In order for your aunt to e receiving any monies from social security she must in his bank account? ..., is she?

Though before I say anything more, did you honestly believe your dad was a threat of injury to you? And Again, you only have to answer that to yourself othewise my previous statements apply more so or less so. I try to keep believing in people being human in thought and spirit.

By the way is he close-by to you and have lucid moments? Because he had to sign that POA. For him to rescind it and take it from her to you if you are known to be looking out for his best interests it should be evident by his statements and in your own heart and evident to doctors, neighbors, etc who's who. Have your neighbors evidenced good care of your dad for instance.... That is not a question you need to answer here just to yourself or who knew of your care for him being the right thing.

P.S. I never hurts to to diary things when you are in the right and it becomes easy to forget when, what sequence, etc to which things occur because it can be such an emotional process you may just become overwhelmed to reconstruct things as they occurred to defend yourself.

A parent with dementia, I believe, will always strike out. It is part of the disease and their misunderstanding and/or frustratration of a particular sitituation at a particular time but do have lucid moments. You probably made a mistake- now I'm just guessing- in trusting his sister. Did you suspect she might do this, I guess, bretrall (sp?) towards you in the first place?

If so take a handwritten diary of all that occurs date by date, all converations you have had and may continue to have as it may become very important to remember these things and dates they occurred to prove yourself. It's messed up to have to do this but is in your best interest.

...cont; Personal family member to family member dislike and or family dysfunction has no place in complicating the needs of an uncommon loved one suffering aging ailments. Again, as I've said, let his sister take care of him even from hundreds of miles away.. and you make an effort to be a caring non judge mental, non 911 calling daughter (use sensitive and correct / better perspective per incident, it could have went pretty bad for your father) for the rest of your fathers years.

You're aunt (or anyone) paying 800 per month for a sibling, is not typical behavior of misappropriation of funds. Think about that. You on the other hand called 911 on the very person you wish to be POA for, happens to be your own father.. that act in itself, then you even writing this post .. flags are now popped up all over your situation. I would make an off the cuff suggestion to let your aunt care for him as she is, and perhaps "think long and hard about what's best for your father. she's already shown her "care for him by sending quite a bit of money per month. People don't send money for people they don't genuinely care about ... understand that.

Thanks to all who answered. The $800 a month was from my father's $1500 a month social security. I don't know what she has been doing with the rest and I don't know what she has done with his 300K retirement fund either. I really don't care about the money, I just want to see my father and be sure he is taken care of. I am staying in his mobile home and my aunt want's me to move after she told me I would receive the house when my father passed away.
I would take my father home and try to are for him, but if he was not happy then I could place him in assisted living and be able to visit daily.
His sister lives 3200 miles away and has not visited in the last year that I have been here. I don't think she is that concerned with my father's welfare, I think she wants his money.
I am going to file for conservatorship and see what happens. I was just wondering if I do get appointed conservator then will that override to POA? I do believe it will.

1 2 3