My 76 yr ol mother lives in miami and i live in tampa. I need to place her in an alf in tampa. What steps do i take for this transition. I dont really know where to start. I have talked and met with my moms social worker who explained i needed to find an agency here to help me with the steps or process. Once all that is done I will be faced with cleaning out her condo and getting it rented. Some family members can help me with that but for the most part it is on me. My mom does have a medicaide waiver that would pay for her stay but i am not aware of a sliding scale or how much. I dont want to start looking and going in the wrong direction. i hope you can provide some resources. thank you. lisette in tampa
I know nothing about the Florida area, its laws, or resources. However, here are some generic ideas:
1) Your mother's social worker should be able to give you additional help. It appears you have a relationship there; leverage it as much as you can.
2) AARP may be able to help. I have never used them, but they have a good reputation.
3) Many large cities have elder care agencies through city government; I'd give them a call. They may refer you to other not-for-profits as well.
4) Are you employed? If so, does your employer offer an employee assistance program? If you do have access to an EAP, this is an excellent time to take advantage of that resource. Depending on the EAP plan, you may even have access to one free or reduced rate visit with an attorney (you will want one who specializes in estate planning or elder care) who can give you some local advice.
5) Have you spoken with either your or your mother's primary care physician? They may be able to make recommendations or referrals.
6) Was your mother married to a US veteran?
Your mom is lucky to have you. Hope these ideas help.