Help choosing the right ROHO cushion for armchair?

My 96 year old grandmom has developed a large bedsore/bruise on her coccyx that isn't going away. We think it is from spending much of the day sitting in her armchair. I recently learned of ROHO cushions as a good remedy for pressure sores, but there is such a variety of options available–– high/low profile, number of cells, contoured/not contoured. Many of them are evidently intended for wheelchair use. She still walks and occasionally uses a wheelchair when there is far to walk. I'm not sure how to choose the one that would be best suited to her situation. Are there any considerations with regard to the high/low profile issue besides seat height? Her present armchair is a good height for her right now, so I imagine she wouldn't want to go too high profile or she will struggle to get seated, but we could always get her a lower seat if higher profile cushions are better for some reason. Another potential issue is that she has a tendency to slide down in her seat when she puts her feet up, which is most of the time. So would that be a reason to get a contoured cushion––to keep her further back on the seat? Or would a contoured cushion be too restrictive for an armchair situation? Lastly, cost––holy cow these cushions are expensive ($350+)! In searching for them, I've come upon similar, but to varying degrees more affordable cushions made by other companies (Kolbs, Drive Medical Balanced Aire Adjustable,...). Are any of these any good? Or are there any you'd recommend? ROHO also offers a couple of drastically less expensive ones (their "MOSAIC" and "LTV" cushions are both under $100). Why the price disparity? Are they inferior in some way? Wow, long post! If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I look forward to your advice!

22

Answers

1 2 3
That sounds very costly. So many aids can be recycled as walkers and stools but never see these cushions. Maybe a skilled nursing facility could direct you.

Yes, see a doctor.

Piggybacking on Barbs suggestion of having a therapist do an evaluation, also ask the dr to order Home Health to treat the sore. If mom is on original medicare, Medicare will pay for HH and they can coordinate the PT evaluation.

Colloidal silver is the best, I went on you tube to learn to make my own as it is expensive and unregulated, which the FDA is trying to change as it works so incredibly good. If anyone is interested please do a msg on my board, I would love to share. Example, I had an allergic reaction to coconut oil which caused systic acne, nothing would clear it up, made a batch spray it on daily no more acne. I spent 3 years and untold money trying to fix whatever went wonky with my skin, doctors could do nothing.

Didn't mean to hijack the post, I just know how awful those sores can become, a lady at dad's AL had to have a suction machine on for months trying to heal one. Poor thing.

Best of luck getting mom healed and a product that stops future issues.

corinna, please look at the comment by madzeena which is the third one above your question. You'll see it was the founder's first and middle initial R.H. with the periods, which were written as circles, enlarged into the letter "O".

Corinna, it doesn't really stand for anything, it is a brand name.

What does ROHO stand for?

See the physician pronto. Don't let this pressure sore turn into a bad infection.

Thanks, madzeena; this was interesting reading!

Good point Cwillie. Being proactive is synonymous with out of pocket.
I do like the suggestions for changing positions and keeping skin moisturized so will work with that approach for now.
As for the name ROHO here's a link to a story on the company
bnd.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/answer-man/article70731142.html
If that doesn't work basically the inventor's name was Robert Henry and the "O"s came from the periods after his initials. File that in the strange but true category.

1 2 3