My Mom has heart failure and CHF. Anyone been in a situation like mine?

My mom cam home from the hospital two days ago after being in 2 wks...they pulled off some fluid but they seem to think its her heart is has two leaking valves which the mitral is harden..and she only has 30 % working....since she has been home she eats like a bird....and sleeps all the time///we called hospice in..me and sister think this is the end.. its really hard seeing your mom in this state.its hard to stay strong.

23

Answers

1 2 3
JeanneGibbs ~
Your response was very informative. Thank you! My condolences to your husband's passing. What a rough road.

I will check out Mayo's website. Dad's confusion seems to have exacerbated over the past three days. This afternoon he was actually better though. It just comes on suddenly from time to time but yes, it's when he's tired. He's the most cognitive in the mornings. And mostly, in the later afternoon is when we see errors. I am curious as to how your husband's Lewy Body was diagnosed, if you'd care to share.

Thank you again. And many blessings.

BarbBrooklyn,
Thank you for your response. He has not been diagnosed with vascular dementia. Several doctors we've taken him to have not seemed to care much because he's 98 years old. I hate that attitude but not much can be done about it. His potassium level came out a bit high, so we've cut out his banana per day he was consuming. A nurse told me that was a good idea. He was checked for a UTI last weekend and it was negative.

19Caregiver52 and JulieMS54 I am so sorry you are in this position. In the natural order of things, parents die before we do. We expect that. But to watch them slowly deteriorate is agonizing indeed!. Cyber hugs to you both.

Caregiver, look up High Potassium on the Mayo Clinic website. There is a brief explanation there. I suggest you call the clinic and leave a message for the doctor asking about that level and if the test should be redone. That website also has an explanation of CHF.

My husband dealt with CHF for many years (30?). Its symptoms were mostly respiratory (shortness of breath, etc.). It did not cause confusion. He did develop Lewy Body Dementia and that, of course, made him very confused. He was fairly high functioning but occasionally he wouldn't know where some room was. This was mostly when he was very tired. And sometimes he'd walk around the house just looking at things, apparently trying to get oriented. Once he was standing in front of my closet, door open. I laughingly asked if he was thinking of borrowing a blouse. His answer: "I'm just seeing what is what." I think he was trying to cure his own disorientation.

Being confused as to time or place is very common in dementia. (Where is the bathroom? Should I wear winter clothes or shorts today?) When the confusion and other symptoms of dementia are consistently worse at a certain time of the day, that is called sundowning. In your dad's case, Caregiver, it might be that the confusion starts up when he is particularly tired. Does he have other symptoms of dementia? How is he the rest of the day?

You can look up sundowning for suggestions such as changing the lighting, changing bedtime, planning activities for that time of day ... environmental things that MIGHT help. I don't think there is any medical treatment specifically for sundowning.

Julie you are certainly in the very difficult position of respecting your father's wishes even though you might wish different decisions for him. I hope that my children are that respectful of me, when my time comes. Has he considered hospice? He would not need to go to a clinic anymore and they would take him off any meds that aren't helping his comfort level. They would also have other medications on hand to help with pain or anxiety, as needed. My husband was on hospice for 5 weeks in our home. It was terrible knowing that he was dying, but the hospice service brought comfort to both of us.

Best wishes for comfort for both of you.

19Caregiver52 - Hi, my father also has CHF with type2 insulin diabetes. He is dying. The hospital saved his life last November and he was able to come home on New Years eve. But last month it was deja vu again. His legs are very swollen and have sores and are leaking fluid. They need dressing by the clinic twice a week. He falls asleep often, can't remember somethings but is very clued up with regards to his medication and blood testing- vascular dementia -. He doesn't bother going to the Gp or heart failure nurse and has reduced his diuretics himself cos he pee's too much. There's no point telling him what to do cos he still has his own mind with regards to his health and it's his choice what he decides to do. He's 85 and really has no quality of life. DNR was signed off on his last visit to hospital. This is a very long illness progressively getting worse. Unpleasant to witness for us & unpleasant to live with for him.

I seem to recall that potassium is an electrolyte; imbalance in electrolyes can wreak havoc in anyone.

Have you talked to the dr. about the potassium level? Has he been diagnosed with vascular dementia?

Sometimes the sort of confusion and agitation you describe can be caused by a Urinary Tract Infection.

Any change in mental status should be reported to his doctor, asap.

My heart goes out to all of you above, who have been through the agonizing situation of a parent failing. It's a hard road.

Dad has CHF & COPD. He started failing about four months ago and went downhill pretty quickly. I asked for a CBC to be done two weeks ago and we learned he has anemia. B-12 shots were given everyday (be an in-home health nurse), with three more being given this next week and then one per month thereafter.

He has gotten better physically and now his blood oxygenation is staying stable once again. But now we're witnessing terrible confusion (sundowners?) in the late afternoon until bedtime. Last night, he told me he didn't know where the bathroom was and I had to lead him over to the door. Is this sundowner confusion? Does it accompany CHF? And, if so, at what stage?

His blood panel showed he was high in potassium. The doctor hasn't mentioned any problem with that, nor any remedy. Is high potassium dangerous in this situation? What can we do about it?

Thank you so much for any answers you can give.

please try to get her to walk. That is the one thing, aside from the hawthorne herb that has helped more than anything else. It really helps the heart to pump out the fluid. Her cardiologist confirmed that this is the best medicine.

My mom just came home from the hospital. She has chf, diabetes, high blood pressure. They have told me her right side of the heart is very weak. I have been in and out the hospital many, many times with my mom over the last 10 years. Now they tell me she is deterating. Mom finally made the choice of Dnr. Thank god she has made that decision because I know its one I did not want to make for her. She also told me she just wants to be home and comfortable. I am able to be with her 24/7 thanks to my hardworking husband. The doctor at the hospital told me I will know when to call hospice in. We have been home for a week now and it looks like she is retaining water again. I feel like im in your shoes walking right next to you. I wish I had a sister to help im decision making. My brother is worthless! Does anybody have any suggestions for us? Thanks and God Bless.

I give my mother herbs. She had CHF, but it was treated with dieuretics and she now still has atrial fibulation and a leaky valve. Last time she had an ultrasound, they said her heart was stronger. Now it's her lungs that are weak. She seems to be helped by hawthorne. It is an herb that strengthens the heart beat. Ask your doctor before giving anything. My mother is 103 yo.

1 2 3