Does anyone have any suggestions of fattening, healthy snacks/meals I can load up his refrigerator with?

My Dad is 80 years old and is getting frail and dangerously thin. My Mom who is 76 is not really interested in cooking. They don't like Meals on Wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions of fattening, healthy snacks/meals I can load up his refrigerator with? The conundrum is, my Mother is getting too thick around her mid-area, which I understand is dangerous for heart-health. Any feedback would be appreciated!

23

Answers

1 2 3
i make my mother every morning, one yogurt, one banana, and one avocado and i smash it up like baby food. She loves it. Also, cook pasting and then just before it is done, leave enough water do not drain, crack two to three eggs in the boiling pot and whisk away, again leave enough water so that its not thick, it thickens very quickly add some salt and eat up!

yeh its is used alot to keep elders nourished and probably others who need it as well but it tastes darn good in my coffee; very rich i don't know if i would personally drink it straight.

ensure must be some pretty thorough stuff. hospice keeps my mother supplied with it ( glucose control type ) . she uses it her cereal instead of milk and hospice says if she is drinking a couple of them a day she wont be getting malnourished.

you could also use a blender and mix the ensure with icecream for a milkshake type drink especially during warm summer days and evenings

i had lost a significant amount of weight when mom first moved here (there was always a medical emergency or sickness all of which have been resolved now). I started putting the rite aid and walgreens version of ensure in my coffee (a quasi coffee mocha). I am back to eating but still like my ensure coffee. It is high in calories and I think has protein. I wonder if you baked a cake or other baked goods if you could use the vanilla or chocolate flavor for receipes call for milk. just a thought. The drink comes in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. I used to pour some chocolate over a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a treat for my mom. I suspect you could add banana slices for a quasi banana split.

So many people with good advice. My Mom lost a lot of weight after my Dad died in December of 2011. Truthfully, she didn't have an appetite. My mom is still somewhat independent enough to heat up things, but not cook. Though when she cooks, I visit her in the kitchen to make sure she understands the directions, etc. But if I try to tell her she is cooking something at too high a heat, she gets really angry. So I have let that go for now. The problem is she has a major sweet tooth. I wish I could switch her over to a low-sugar, healthy diet, but she won't do it. I bought a rotisserie chicken for her last week, and she hasn't touched it.

whole milk for drinking and cooking

plain yogurt and fold in your own fresh raspberries, bananas, peaches etc. Peanut butter sandwiches and /or peanut butter sauce poured over baked pork chops or chicken (trader vics used to make it). Mashed potatoes with butter/corn souffe, quiche lorraine. Bernaise sauce placed on top of sirloin stake or even hamburger patties; hollidaise sauce (both of the latter sauces can be made at home), more mashed potatoes. Fresh fruit smoothies, more mashed potatoes. In and out burgers are real beef ---the bun is probably white processed but the beef is excellent unlike McDonalds and his cousins. Bananas. Mashed potatoes. Corn and other vegetable souffles. Let us know what you end up using to get those healthy calories. Tonight mom and I had bread pudding. Yum. Use some multigrain bread. Blend the bread into cake consistency. Bake and let the edles get crispy. Serve warm with 2 small pools of raspberry sauce, a few dollups of whipped cream (the real deal) and add sprinkles of real raspberries. (a Nordstrom receipe)

cream cheese on fish. crackers. or dominos. its all the same thats some rich fattening stuff. mix it with yogurt, still high calorie stuff..

My 80 year old mother has a good breakfast, but the issue is that she just wants to snack all day. She will eat a good dinner, she rarely has lunch with the exception of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I leave for her when I go to work. I do leave the fruit bowl out so she could have clementines or bananas. I have purchased the Shakes but she doesn't seem to interested in those. I do get some of the mini snack bars from Glucerna or meal bars. I guess we can just do the best we can for our loved ones. I can't make my mother stop eating, I think that is the one thing she can control in her life. Good luck to you and hang in there.

1 2 3