I have POA for my mom. The state took me to court and got Guardianship. How is that possible?

I have POA for my mom, have had since 2008. The state took me to court and got gaurdianship of her. How is that possible? Shes in a nursing home. I dont understand how this legally can happen. I have taken care of my mother and made sure the nursing home was paid. Up until just now, they let my mom get 14,000 behind without notifiying me. Said they dont know where her SSI is going. When it has been going to them directly for the past 4 almost 5 yrs. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

24

Answers

1 2 3
Yes, you definitely need to find out what was/is happening with social security, how the facility was being paid, why their business office did not contact you. (I presume they knew you were handling financial matters and how to reach you.

Was there not a statement from the Nursing Home being mailed to SOMEONE showing amounts being paid or not and a building amount due?

Amen! Sweetheart, you did nothing wrong. The system is wrong and I'll be back to ask for support because this is crazy. I don't know where you are in the process but it is very hard to turn around. They put my mom in hospice, giving her all kinds of crazy meds, not giving her her regular meds, I can't get a doctor to go see her and write a report because she's in a VA facility Hines, to be exact. This is the US Government participating in such a deceptive maneuver. YOU DID NOTHING WRONG. Feel free to write me if you want.

Amen to the long comment! Sweetheart, you did nothing wrong. The system is wrong and I'll be back to ask for support because this is crazy. I don't know where you are in the process but it is very hard to turn around. They put my mom in hospice, giving her all kinds of crazy meds, not giving her her regular meds, I can't get a doctor to go see her and write a report because she's in a VA facility Hines, to be exact. This is the US Government participating in such a deceptive maneuver. YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.

You still have time to check with an Elder Care Attorney or other qualified consultant. QUICKLY make an appointment and take all of your related documents with you. All Jurisdictions allow APPEALS of Court Decisions, within a certain period of time (the amount of time varies depending on your Jurisdiction). Sorry for your frustrating situation. Best of luck!!

.... no appropriate judge would ever allow this to go down without proof of physical or mental neglect. I am sitting here telling you that either you are not telling the whole story or what has happened to you and your mother is criminal. No way can a facility get guardianship over another humanbeing this quick, this easy..... unless, as I've said there's more to your story or/ what the facility and judge have done is a criminal offense.

.... you need to answer a few questions. How was the facility being paid? Auto withdrawal or what. I believe what's gone on-has been against the law, many of them.  They are most likely using elder abuse misappropriation of funds as the reason for temp guardianship. Facilities are notorious for claiming financial elder abuse on any family, also POA when the resident falls behind in a payment (even over 30 bucks) yet they charge the elder ungodly amounts of money for rent. All facilities should be forced to first prove the debt, prove the history of payments vs non payments, and they need to prove whom-ever has had something to do with the rents not being paid, and even then, unless there is clear physical or mental abuse Its never a good thing to remove guardianship from her family (you) ... Sounds to me you have a serious issue of a judge and a facility working together. ... I would suggest you need to get an attorney involved and pretty d*mn quick. (Also call her bank and the social sec dept .. simple things to do here to find out where and how the debt has occurred and who's cashing the SS checks. A facility being given guardianship is never a good thing, never, and is usually associated with further theft and deception of what's left of the elders assets. Again, Look at what facilities charge per month... that's already theft, and no one can tell me it's not. 

definitely sounds like a banking error. something happened where the ss checks didn't get deposited correctly, and no one knew it was happening until too late.

It is hard to believe this could happen if you had been visiting though I suppose many people in nursing homes don't have visitors for long stretches.

Now though, because I am scared by these stories of NH taking on guardianships in order to drain assets, you need to find out why those SS checks did not make it to the NH.

Please look into it. It's your duty as guardian.

Of course anything is legal when mistakes happen. Innocent people are thrown in jail every day due to someone making a mistake on a form or not having time to follow proper procedure. It is your turn to step up to the plate. This is part of being POA. Spend some bucks on a lawyer to sort it out. As POA, your Mom's finances should pay for it. If she doesn't have enough assets, chances are no one is trying to do anything illegal, at least that is my hope.

I have read this post, and it also sounds some form of emergency guardianship occurred, perhaps. Under normal circumstances, that process as I understand, is petitioned by attorney because they see a need immediately for petition for guardianship. Due to emergency guardianship, that then takes on an appointed Special Guardian assigned, which I would hope is a 30 day process in all cases. The Special Guardian can be a family member, but if one is not present or possibly does not satisfy the guardianship requirements, such as background check by the judge, the court will appoint a Special Guardian to not only freeze assets, including Social Security income possibly, for example, because if the bank where the income was paying for care, was frozen, then perhaps Social Security process/mail can notify the mailing address they have on file that their Social Security income was not deposited on said date. POA on wills and trusts and other documents can cover a lot of scenarios, but once guardianship takes place, hopefully the court does not change all documents. It is just that they see a need or perhaps in this case, they see a debt or non-payment, which falls in line with the ever so popular topic: not able to manage their own financial affairs. Guardianship is real and it can last for the remainder of the year or in a lot of people's cases I think it stays in place because there is no one else that can take the responsibility. Comments about documentation. Representation just from any attorney, that has experience in guardianship cases is recommended, because the health of the parent is first and foremost the concern. But, wow, if there is concern about not following the normal process, then one would think it would take an attorney and money to determine what your legal rights are and how best to even protect your investments in not going overboard financially. But, definitely find out more! Sounds like emergency guardianship occurred which leads to guardianship and can be the same person in the end, i.e. Special Guardian for the X number of days, say 30 days and then Guardian for awhile until financial/health issues addressed in full.

Harris, what is going on now? We'd love to hear more. We learn from each other.

1 2 3