Have no one to administer insulin to mom, any suggestions?

Have to consider not giving it. What’s the alternative?

11

Answers

One more thought . . . Have you tried the local Am Diabetes Assoc? they may have ideas that would help your mom.
Reply to geewiz

Although she has dementia she is alert and aware of who we are but unable to make concrete and safe decisions. She has lived in her home for 55 years so very connected and to take her out of her environment versus assisted-living for diabetic purposes will absolutely decrease her quality of life. She takes oral medication for her diabetes (I fill pill boxes every two weeks) and the insulin has just been recommended by her PMD. Because finding resources to administer the insulin daily has been very challenging her PMD is looking at other alternatives. Thanks for all the info!
Reply to Thefavorite

There must be specialized equipment available for the blind to administer insulin. I am wondering about the long term viability of this situation. I would start to research other residential arrangements.
Reply to gladimhere

Insulin now is givin in pen style as a once daily dose. The needle needs to be changed and dose is dialed in. Also a tiny dose needs to first be run through the needle to get rid of the air that you do not want to inject into the skin.The form you are thinking of would require thinking skills and dose adjustment with each sugar measurement with each meal. This is too complicated. Also there is a limited time that a syringe could be kept pre filled and may be only 24 hours. Would someone be able to come in daily to do the pre set in the insulin pen for brother to assist?

Maybe it's time for an AL or NH. Her care is more than you can handle and with Dementia it will get worse.

No, VNA will not do that, unfortunately. They can be ordered to teach the son or person how to do it but can’t stay in.
A family member can pre-fill syringes with the daily dose and maybe her son can give it in her abdomen. How/who checks her blood sugar? I think they even have talking glucometers these days for folks with bad vision . 
There are many things that can happen if your mom doesn’t eat after taking insulin or even if it’s a once daily bedtime dose if she doesn’t eat nor check her blood sugar. Her blood sugar can drop.
So sorry that you have to find a way to make sure she is safe. I hope it works out for you.
Reply to Shane1124

How about the Visiting Nurses assoc?
Reply to geewiz

When my mom first started she lived in Independent living. She needed to do sugar checks twice a day but she did not always do it on her own because if difficulty with time. I hired a LPN who could set up and supervise as long as she could self inject. Costs were about $400/ month. The insulin also costs about $100/ month. Is that affordable for her? If she does not get insulin then sugars will increase causing either seizures or renal failure that would cause a need for dialysis. All of which will increase costs.  Do you think mom with supervision and someone giving full instructions will work.   If just the injecting is the issue, even though blind an injectable spot can be into abdominal fat

She does have dementia so unable to self administer. Has a adult son that lives with her however legally blind so can’t trust him to give safely.
Reply to Thefavorite

Does she have dementia? My elderly aunt had a myriad of issues going on, but her mind was still pretty good. There is no way she could draw insulin up in a syringe, but the doctor prescribed insulin pens, which dial the dosage. I put a note on it with a mark showing where the dial needed to be turned for correct dosage. She did great with the pen and gave herself shots.
Reply to XenaJada