I have. I had a very basic plan. No frills cremation. In setting up same for my mother in one year's time, the cost went up by 1k. Just something (else) to think about.

I think burial and creamation is a waste of money. My body is to be donated.
Reply to tacy022
Riverdale Feb 17, 2019
What if no one wants your aged parents body?
(2)
My parents, aunt and uncle did it back in 1998. A triple butial plot was purchased. Cremation was decided later. Urn choices are already on record. Mom is the only one left. The funeral home has her burial inurance that bears interest. The plots were originally for coffins but with so many urns, there is more space. I am planning my brother's funeral for any day now. We discussed this prior to him getting sick. His choice was cremation also and it gives us comfort that he will be included next to immediate family.
When the others passed away, it was a simple trip to the home to continue with plans. The little extra costs were for services.
IF you make plans, make sure your document is known to someone. It takes less than an hour to speak to a funeral director. You can also preplan what to do with the ashes.

I say the things I do because I had a sibling whom I had to drag kicking and screaming into Guardianship And the costs there in just for that. I have paid the majority of it. Although she is far more wealthy than I.

The reality of old and death are stunning.
Reply to Segoline

Cremation is getting more and more popular. Because of this, I think the price will keep rising.

We had MIL cremated in Fla and sent back to NJ. We then had her buried with her husband and a nice luncheon afterwards with family and friends.

I have already told my girls no open casket, no service. Can just have a graveside service and go to lunch afterwards.
Segoline Feb 17, 2019
Well like I said, I got in the weeds with this. Did the elders die simultaneously? If not, you have a second opening the grave cost.

When My father died, we bought two plots. The second, for my mom, will go unfilled.

This is a morbid subject.. But we discuss all kinds of mortality and morbidity here. It is the reality of life today.
(0)
Mother and father are on the Neptune society. Easiest th8ng in the world to work with. Very glad my mother did this, one less thing to sweat at a not easy time to sweat things.
Reply to dontgetthechees
Segoline Feb 17, 2019
For those not in the know, can you explain the Neptune society? I have heard of it, not sure what it is. I posit I am not alone.
(0)
The pointers I can give on this are thusly provided: make sure funeral home in biz for a bit. Make sure they own crematorium. Make sure not one which offers 799 turn key service* and uses 3d party for all the things.

* I've yet to hear about an actual 799 cost. And I got into the weeds with this.

The ME fee does tend to go up, so one may need to amend. That is the medical examiner's fee.

in doing my mom's, we got a discount by 1600 because years ago, they had handled my father's very expensive in ground funeral ( which will be a thing of the past). And handled my own.

It was still an increase by 1k. So think about with no discount.
Reply to Segoline