Has anyone had their loved one get a spinal tap?

14

Answers

is there a reason why the procedure did not deaden the area I was to have surgery on?

In the hands of a good doctor, the lumbar puncture is fairly routine. Although there can be complications, they are unusual. the biggest problem with a dementia patient is understanding how important it is to cooperate with the instructions. It is more difficult if they can't follow instructions. I believe you might want to ask what they are looking for and what treatment would be planned if they find what they think it might be. All treatments are not appropriate for dementia patients. If I wouldn't opt for the treatment, I wouldn't do the test to get the diagnosis in the first place.

My ME/CFS specialist does them to eliminate anything else before he makes a diagnosis of ME/CFS.

I personally had a couple of them. I was having seizures and the doctor needed to check for something within the spinal fluid. I do not remember pain from it but I was scared and you have to lay very still in a tight fetal position while the fluid is removed. I too would want to make sure that it really needs to be done especially if the person is of diminished capacity and unable to follow directions. I am suspicious anymore of tests and of their necessity.

If the person doing it is very capable in the procedure, there is nothing to worry about. My ME/CFS Specialist as done 100's, if not 1000's, and I had no problem with the two he has done on me. The only problems I had was not following instructions to remain flat for several days so the bubble from the spinal fluid removal has time to fill back up. If that bubble goes to your brain, you'll never forget the headache it gives you!

My mother had a spinal tap about 3 weeks ago and the change was remarkable. She has normal pressure hydrocephalus. She will be having a brain shunt put in this Friday to constantly relieve the pressure. The spinal convinced her to seek the treatment that would continuously do what the tap did for a few days. She had no trouble with the tap and she is 83

Thank you all so much. I am more relaxed about the procedure now.

My father had one about 2 weeks ago. It was done in the doctor's office and I was in the room. It did not look fun but my dad indicated it wasn't too bad. He did not indicate any painful reaction to the procedure. Recovery was laying flat for a half hour or so. Instructions were to keep the area dry for 24 hours and to drink some caffeine (don't know why). Dad indicated no problems afterward and was fine the next day. He is 75 and is seeing a neurologist, having some trouble with leg weakness and the doc wanted to rule out certain things. Dad also had to have some blood drawn, which was sent to the lab in conjunction with the spinal fluid.

I have had two in my life. Not the most comfortable things, but I did not have any trouble, other than not liking to have to lie on my back for hours. They are suppose to deaden the area before they do the procedure.

Not quite the same but similar to the one women get during childbirth.