Has anyone had any luck transitioning their senior parent from a regular toilet seat to a bidet seat?

I am doing some small projects in my mom's outdated bathroom. We are replacing her old round toilet with a taller comfort height elongated toilet seat. I asked the plumber about a bidet for mom. The plumber mentioned that he has also sold a few Kohler bidet toilet seats. (The bidet is in the seat and has a warming function.) I was just wondering if anyone has found this helpful and effective? Mom has vascular dementia and sundowning and finds the hygiene challenging so the aide helps her but it is sometimes difficult. The elongated seat will bring a bit more room. I was just wondering about a bidet. She has never had one.

23

Answers

1 2 3
Thanks everyone for sharing. Mom has a riser now on her old toilet so she is used to the taller height. To try out the elongated seat I added it to the old round base and she likes it and so does the aide. I also bought a Moen side grab bars attachment for the upcoming toilet we will get. I am going to look into the perineal bottle as well as the bidet options. Thanks so very much!!!
Reply to caregivingstuff

Partsmom: Elders have difficulty arising from a standard height toilet.
Reply to Llamalover47

Thanks, Gardens--"Toto" was the other brand I couldn't remember when I typed my other comment. So we have American Standard and "Toto too" :-)
Reply to jacobsonbob

As my grandmother declined over a 15 year period from multiple strokes, she progressed from needing assistance getting to the bathroom, then to the bedside commode, and eventually could not be moved from her bed.
I watched her daughters struggle physically to transport her from bed or chair to the toilet.
We purposely installed a bidet toilet when making accessiblility modifications to our bathroom.
The brand we purchased is called “Toto” and the product a “Washlet.” It is available as a separately installed seat or as a complete toilet.
It requires connection to an electrical outlet.
My Mom now lives with us. She has dementia, Parkinson’s and is at risk for falls. This toilet has been indispensable in maintaining both her hygiene and her dignity.
She resisted initially. But, as she needed more and more help with toileting, I was able to quietly turn it on while she sat. Now, I hear no complaints.
It has been helpful and sometimes a life-saver in these circumstances:
- When she is too weak to stand in the shower
- When she has had diarrhea
- To prevent irritation and chaffing from urine that leaks (incontinence)
- To preserve her dignity by providing a discrete rinse rather than doing the wiping for her
- When her hemorrhoid becomes irritated or bleeds
- To keep diaper rash in check during the hot summers
- To provide a soothing rinse whenever there is irritation
At this point, I cannot imagine trying to care for Mom without it.
Reply to Gardens

Toilet height has advantages and disadvantages--I have also read that a lower seat (or a footstool that gives the option of being more "folded" ) increases the efficiency of the bowels. However, the lower seat makes it more difficult to get off the seat; I have a knee that no longer lifts well enough to get up easily, and having your knees lower than your body makes it much easier to get up. My husband at one time got so annoyed at one of the toilets at our business that he got some rubber blocks about 2-3 inches square and glued them on the underside of the toilet seat to raise it. (He also extended the height where the seat hinged.)
Reply to partsmom

If you get one, make sure it has a water warming feature.
Reply to jjariz

I can attest to the best functionality is that the toilet is higher. Most elders will have difficulty arising from a standard toilet. IMHO, the best feature of the bidet is the water function. I personally have not used one.
Reply to Llamalover47

Costco presently has a toilet seat that is a bidet and dryer in the sales catalogue for about $250. I had my plumber put a hand held one on each of my toilets a number of years ago. This was great as long as my husband could lean forward for me (he no longer understands what I'm asking) so I could give him a spray to clean him. Just a couple of ideas that are out there.
Reply to peggyh

Yes, I think that when people refer to a "bidet toilet seat" they are talking about the units that are made to be used in place of a regular toilet seat on a regular toilet. If you have never heard of them before you can watch dozens of videos on YouTube.

I just saw where, instead of getting the whole bidet toilet, you can just buy the top portion, which has a warming seat and the water function and I was totally thinking of getting that for my mother who is challenged on hygiene issues as well. I can’t offer any advice, but I, myself, was looking for advice here as well.  I think I saw it at Costco.. but still unsure about it, it was just yesterday too!  I think I have memory loss!
Reply to Heidindsrespit1

1 2 3