Mother is hard of hearing and refuses a hearing aid. The nurse suggested getting her a pocket talker. She said I could get it on Amazon. Has anyone had any experience with this?

The williams sound pocket talker was also the brand recommended to me by a hearing specialist when mom's HAs failed and they get good reviews but we chose to do without. As others have already said it isn't going to be a replacement for hearing aids but can make it possible to have a conversation or listen to entertainment.

Mom has one which we use for important conversations with us. They are not as comfortable as hearing aids so she gets to decide when to take them off. She still refuses for everyday use. Do not expect her to know that it needs to be turned off when not in use. Since they cost about $30 they are worth it. She denies that she has a hearing problem. At this point hearing aids are too expensive for her to take care of

About 15 years ago I bought one to use with a very hard of hearing lady I volunteered with. It worked pretty good for things like going to the bank, restaurants, etc. As I recall she used it until she finally agreed to see a new audiologist for new hearing aids that worked well for her.

I recall it being inexpensive. I would give it a go, just to save your own vocal cords at the very least! Good luck.
Reply to SnoopyLove

Never heard of one so I checked it out. It's kind of like a small portable player, with an amplifier that apparently connects to headphones. I assume volume control is on the player. Interesting; I'll be interested in others' opinions on this device.