Grandma is an addict. Not sure if there is a way to become legally in charge of her finances so as to make sure her bills are payed and the house doesn't get taken. like....legally take her rights. In the state of oregon if that matters.

Find Care & Housing
Look at doing a conserveratorship rather than guardianship.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to Stacy0122

If she has children, they should handle this. But like Alva says, if Gma is competent, she can make her own decisions.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to JoAnn29

Please consult a lawyer that specializes in family law, or better elder law.

Addiction is serious and can not only shorten her life but have serious repercussions while she is alive. Ask her to go to a detox facility so she can safely detox.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Taarna

Bossmama89, the least restrictive way to help your grandma is to gain enough of her trust that she invites, or at least allows, a family member to help her with her finances. If she trusts someone enough, she might even formalize such assistance by signing an immediate durable power of attorney (DPOA) that allows the POA agent to pay her bills using her funds. Unless she is declared to be incompetent, a DPOA doesn't take her legal rights away, it just gives the POA agent the legal right to help her.

If your grandma won't allow anyone to help her pay her bills, you can still keep an eye on whether her mortgage is being paid by frequently checking with the Marion County recorder's office to see if the mortgage company is taking steps to foreclose or if any liens have been filed. And you can check with the county treasurer's office to make sure she doesn't fall behind on her property taxes. If she does become in danger of losing her house, that endangerment could be an early sign of dementia or other incompetence, which might help you or someone else get an emergency legal guardianship/conservatorship, if you choose to petition the court for that responsibility.

You indicated in your profile that your grandma's personality has recently changed, which could be due to an underlying medical condition. If she hasn't recently had a medical checkup, you could encourage her to do that and it would be good if she would let you or someone else accompany her to that appointment. If no underlying physical illness is found, then a mental examination might help -- but beware that many seniors resist the idea of mental exam. These ideas are just for starters and for a recap, try to resist the idea of taking your grandma's rights away as the first step and, instead, try to get her to trust family members enough so she'll willingly accept your help. Best wishes.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to bicycler

US pop star Britney Spears has long been embroiled in a legal dispute over her business and personal affairs.
The singer's career has been in the hands of legal guardians in an arrangement known as a conservatorship since she faced a mental health crisis 12 years ago.
This gives her father, Jamie Spears, control over her estate and other aspects of her life.
But the singer has sought to dismiss her father from the role in court.
A grassroots movement of fans, known as the #FreeBritney campaign, has backed her legal fight to regain autonomy over her affairs.
The prolonged legal row gained renewed attention following the release of Framing Britney Spears, a documentary which centred on the conflict over the singer's guardianship.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Sendhelp

Addiction is not a reason to take anyone's rights, and no court will stop someone taking meds, alcohol, smoking, drugs, and overeating. That is under our free will and a court will not intervene. They will if one is incompetent and has a diagnosis of being demented. And then only reluctantly. The person fighting against guardianship will almost always win unless they are severely demented and a danger to self or other.
Certainly check with an elder law attorney and bring all evidence and facts with you, it being worth the cost of an hour to ease your mind that there is really nothing you can do for an addict who doesn't want help. Wishing you the best.
Helpful Answer (5)
Reply to AlvaDeer

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter