Are hardwood floors more of a danger than carpeted floors for residents in an assisted living facility?

Mother is moving to a new facility. It is an upgrade from her last facility. The agent mentioned that her new apartment has hardwood floors. I am concerned should she become unstable and have a fall. Would she be safer if we carpeted the apartment?

25

Answers

1 2 3
Hospital beds can now be put down almost to the floor, this makes the fall not so high off the floor. For Moms AL I bought a 5 inch boxspring her mattress was already about six or seven inches.

My mother had great strong bones, and for years when she was still on her own, she would fall out of bed (onto carpet) and never get hurt. Then she had a (brief) stay in a nursing home for rehab and fell on their ridiculously hard floor, and broke a hip. I vote for carpet. Not shag of course, but a soft yet solid tight weave. She could even handle her walker better on carpet. On the hard linoleum it would roll away from her. Carpet can be installed with an actual waterproof layer (plastic or vinyl or something?), to protect the floor underneath. That's what's in my house, and I just didn't worry about spills or stains until that phase of caregiving was over, and underneath the carpet, the hardwood floor was still beautiful. Best wishes to you!

Hardwood floors called laminate. BUT AND A BIG ONE-ABSOLUTELY NO SCATTER RUGS! That is an elders biggest trip hazard.

On rugs you can get "skis" u put in place of the leg coasters.

Actually, I am surprised since they could slip on hardwood. Moms facility is carpeted with indoor/outdoor and tile in the bathrooms. Don't put area rugs down. They are a tripping hazards.

There is a further choice and that is rubber. They tend to be fairly boring colours and usually plain (although you can get some great non slip ones for the bathroom) But they ARE natural and they ARE softer than concrete. Just a thought because they clean up very very easily.

I do have carpet in the room Mum eats in but I protect it with a thick large clear vinyl square which grips to the carpet so doesn't present a trip hazard but you can also get self adhesive protectors which have to be renewed every 6-8 weeks but I believe they are quite good too though I have never used them - decorators use them on stairs when they want to protect the carpets from paint so I think they wont be a trip hazard for that reason alone.

Our chief concerns for mom, who is well along in the stages of Alzheimer's disease, are that she would fall and break a hip (leg, arm, etc.) or develop a respiratory infection that would lead to pneumonia; so hardwood vs. carpet is a 50/50 proposition. If your loved one uses a rolling walker, carpet makes it more difficult to use and still doesn't prevent the possibility of breaking a hip, et.al. Area rugs, as with anything that creates change in floor elevation, increase the likelihood of tripping and falling with or without a walker. Carpet is almost impossible to clean completely, and frequent incontinence mishaps make it a poor choice as it's a great incubator for mold and bacteria. So, because at this stage mom walks very, very slowly holding onto rails and because we have frequent issues with incontinence, we chose hardwood to hedge our bets. I think that we have to weigh the risks for each person at each stage of his or her (dis)abilities, and keep in mind that choosing one over the other may be only a temporary solution.

Another idea is to use carpet tiles over existing carpet or hardwood. They usually have a solid rubber backing so are basically water proof and you take up individual tiles to clean or replace. check ny shoes slippers etc to make sure they have a non slip sole and fit well. Lace ups are best but many elders can't reach their feet anymore. Definittely nothing without a back because the foot easily slips off the heal causing the wearer to loose their balance. my daughter brought me a pair, actually a very nice pair from that famous outdoor store in Maine and I put them on thinking they would be quick and easy to put on and a couple of steps later my heel slipped off so they are in the donation pile. What a waste, they were nice sheep skin. (Sorry sheep)

I don't have a choice since carpet came with the apartment in the IL facility. The spotting is a nightmare and I use a spot cleaning machine frequently. The food spills at the table are a recurring nightmare so I bought an outdoor carpet to place at my dad's chair. Now if he spills it's easy to clean up and since he can't walk it isn't a hindrance (except for me) if one is careful.

My mom wears "Hipster hip protectors" it's a light girdle with pads on the hips. I too worry about the floors, she has fallen so many times but mostly in the carpeted areas.
I guess you have to think about if your mom has balance issues.

1 2 3