I find it hard to believe and accept that my mother who died only a month ago at 94 years old, is gone forever. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

I am in denial that someone I loved so much and who was with me my entire life has left this world forever. I am having a hard time understanding this and why it happened. I still feel her presence and can easily visualize her and hear her voice.

48

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Rosepetal,
Touching story, about your life...
Whether in caps or regular, it is an encouragement for others!

I lost my father (who was 32 yrs old when he died of Bright's disease) when I was 8 yrs old and in third grade. How I coped at that age was to have many private conversations with him whenever I needed to. I still do it to this day and I am now 79. My mother was still a young woman and was really unable to deal with the reality. So, she had my grandparents come live with us and actually raise my younger sister and I. Her thoughts were totally about her - with no thought about her children. Of course she married within a year and that was her solution. However, it made it more difficult for my younger sister and I.
How I dealt with my grief then was to have conversations (in my head) with my Dad about whatever problem I was dealing with. Those conversations were very important! I could tell him anything - sort of talk it out. I knew he would understand. Those private conversations gave me strength and eventually insight to accept the reality. By the way I still have conversations with him privately. It gave me comfort and somewhere to turn - it also allowed me to vent and of course the next conversation I told him how I had solved the problem. I think I was looking for (love of course) but mostly a chance to feel I had someone in my corner. My Dad and I are still friends and I do communicate with him when I have some kind of problem. It gave me the courage to carry on - it still does. Having someone that you had a close relationship with and then loosing them is leaving you (like half a person). I was very honest with my Dad (still am) and I know he is proud of who I have become and the 3 sons I raised. So, my Dad helped me from the deep love and faith I had in him to have to same faith and belief in myself. I think they call that feeling courage. Everyone needs someone who cares about them. I had my Dad.

Oftentimes when I see RosePetal post in all caps, I think that she may have a visual impairment. Sometimes I use caps for emphasis of a few words .

Ah, this lady, ROSEPETAL, has in the past received the caregiver's good stamp of excellence, imo. She is a wonderful person, I have read, posted by Staceyb.

GardenArtist,
ROSEPETAL does post in all caps for a reason, she is not yelling.

Her Birthday is soon, in November.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSEPETAL!

My fiirst clue....her screen name is in all caps. But I have not yet read her post to which you referenced yet. Maybe trolls do take over our posts if we are gone for awhile?

A computer gremlin----that must be what happens to my posts when I get grouchy and call some poor caregiver out.

If RosePetal is who I think she is, she's a long time poster who to the best of my recollection hasn't posted in all caps before. I suspect this might have been a computer gremlin, of which I've seen a lot lately.

It's a lovely post to shout from the roof-tops, all the same :)

Maybe Rose has a visual impairment and finds it hard to see lower case? I believe there is a function to make the font size larger on the site, though, isn't there? - just don't ask me how to do it... :/

Rose ... it is considered YELLING to use all caps ... rude, in other words. But, even aside from that...a post with all caps is near impossible to read.

Take the caps lock off

DEAR BLOOMSCHOOL,
SHE MAY NOT BE PHYSICALLY HERE BUT SHE WILL ALWAYS BE IN YOUR HEART. THAT IS A GOOD THING! MY FATHER DIED AT AGE 32 - WHEN I WAS 8. I STILL MISS HIM AND I AM 79 YRS OLD. HOWEVER, WHEN I WAS A CHILD I WOULD HAVE PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS WITH HIM BECAUSE I KNEW HE WOULD UNDERSTAND. HE WAS MY PRIVATE FRIEND WHEN I WAS 8 AND STILL IS AT AGE 79. HE IS PHYSICALLY GONE BUT I HAVE WONDERFUL MEMORIES AND INSTEAD OF MAKING ME SAD - THEY ARE COMFORTING TO ME. SOMEONE MAY BE PHYSICALLY GONE BUT THEY EXIST IN YOUR MIND. I THINK THAT IS CALLED TRUE LOVE! THERE ARE MANY PHASES' ONE GOES THRU WITH A LOSS OF A DEAR ONE. I WAS A CHILD AND I MADE MY DAD WHO DIED MY SECRET FRIEND. HE WAS ALWAYS THERE FOR ME WHEN I NEEDED HIM - NOT PHYSICALLY BUT IN MY MIND - AS HE ALWAYS WAS THERE FOR ME PHYSICALLY WHEN HE WAS ALIVE. HE WAS AND IS MY HERO AND ALWAYS WILL BE. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS NO LONGER LIVING DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE GONE FROM YOUR LIFE. GOOD MEMORIES ARE WONDERFUL MEMORIES. SOMEDAY YOU AND I WILL CEASE TO EXIST AND WHEN THAT HAPPENS I HOPE I HAVE LEFT WONDERFUL MEMORIES TO MY CHILDREN (AS I HAVE OF MY FATHER) TO COMFORT THEM. IF I WAS NEAR YOU I WOULD GIVE YOU A HUG - MAKE YOU A CUP OF TEA AND SERVE SOMETHING SWEET TO EAT.
I CONSIDER MYSELF LUCKY TO HAVE HAD A MAN LIKE MY DAD IN MY LIFE. I ALWAYS TRIED TO MAKE HIM PROUD OF ME. SO, SOLDIER ON AND ONE DAY YOUR MEMORY WILL BRING YOU COMFORT INSTEAD OF PAIN. YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE LOVE TO REMEMBER HER BY.

HUGS,
ROSE PETAL

My Mom's birthday is May 24 and she passed last July 2016.. Mother's Day and her birthday are the first without her.. I'm having a hard time keeping the tears at bay... I'll go to the cemetery visit her and Dad..It's a National cemetery and it's so beautifully manicured, it always makes me feel good too know they are together..

The grieving process is on going.. I just try to think of the good days and put the whole dementia/caregiver stuff behind..

Not being exhausted daily does put it all in perspective!

1 2 3 4 5