Who do I turn to about being harassed by Area Agency on Aging and dysfunctional family members?

I am a caregiver to my mother and grandmother. I go above and beyond to make sure they are well taken care of - and I have even went as far as to put my own personal life with my husband on hold to spend my days/nights taking care of them at times. (Thankfully my husband is very understanding!) The issue I am having is that a family member who has caused nothing but health general life issues for both my mother and grandmother is continually contacting the Area Agency on Aging and falsely reporting abuse, neglect, fraud, and more. (For instance: saying that my grandmother gets locked in a tiny room, doesn't get fed much of the time, is left alone constantly, is not allowed visitors/phone calls, and is physically abused - to name a few!!). It is at least 1 time per month that these people come out to "investigate" the claims made. In the beginning I laughed at the thought that this person came thinking there was something very wrong happening and in the end, saw that my grandmother was a VERY happy/healthy woman and then immediately closed the case. However, now we are close to 10 "investigations" where my grandmother (who had 2 strokes and cannot speak well or even say her name when asked) is put through the ringer with nonsense questions. Being that she isn't able to answer, she gets upset and depressed that she can't get the words out to explain that this is NONSENSE! However, after that many visits - this agency is STILL harassing us because of that 1 family member who is constantly calling them. After so many "investigations" turning into a total joke and everything claimed to be false, I am now at the point that I am seeking advice and help to stop the harassment. If there were anything found to be wrong at any point/visit, I may understand the repetitive "game" they are playing with our lives - but there has NEVER once been anything wrong or true that was reported and I cannot understand why these people cannot see they are only hurting my family - not helping now after so much of it. Does anyone know what to do or who to contact regarding harassment and false accusations? I am aware of the option to contact a lawyer to help - but we cannot afford that right now and even so, I do not want to have to put my family through anything more than we already deal with from this nonsense. If anyone has had a similar experience of even knows of a place to contact about getting this stopped - I would greatly appreciate anything you can offer! If it matters, this is all taking place in Pennsylvania (not sure how laws differ regarding this type of thing according to each states laws). if you could please contact me to let me know (or hopefully I get a notification to return here if a response is left. Thank you all in advance....I am at the end of the rope on this situation and do not know where to turn for help.

19

Answers

I am going through this with my former husband. I still live here since I am disabled. He told me I could. These people believed someone who had dementia and never asked me. Now it is wrong how they accused me of taking his money. I just wrote to a lawyer and the best thing is to get Legal Shield. For about $25.00 a month you could contact your attorney. The best to all of us.
Reply to Honeycake63

Dear LoveMyFamily, I feel for you because I am experiencing the same thing with the care of my 74 year old mother, who suffers from dementia and other mental illnesses. Adult Protective Services in Arizona are harassers!! Power hungry agents who flaunt their power more than help the people in need. I first contacted APS because my incarcerated brother was exploiting my mother for thousands of dollars. APS did nothing at all. Now they are harassing me and invading my and my mothers privacy. Unfortunately we live in a world of government corruption and abuse. There is nothing a person without money can do, this is why this harassment by these agencies happens. Many states have free legal assistance for poor people. Although it is not always good assistance, it is legal assistance. Look around and try to get legal help. You may also have a cause to petition your local court for an injunction against harassment. Look into that. Although you are dipping into the pot of boiling oil, reach out to you local congressman. They "might" help. If not, don't vote for them next time they run for office. In the United States today, the citizens must grin and bear allot from our government, as they are protected by law enforcement, who are licensed to kill. The sick part of that is, we pay their salaries. Good Luck!! - David
Reply to HumanRights

Acohen, you might want to start your own thread with your question.

Are you being harassed by APS?

I would like to know same boat
Reply to Acohen

my elderly mother lives with me in a 55+ senior community..just moved in fully 3 weeks ago--APS drops by every week and a half to 2 weeks wanting to speak to my mother ..i sleep days as i have a sleep disorder..of course ,they wake me up every time they come by.she has told them quite sternly to stay away from our door,that she does NOT want to speak to them,that she considers it harrassment!!!she's totally exhausted after dealing with them and she's 91 years old..i fear a stroke or heart attack if they persist in bothering us like this..i told the APS worker that i have a live 24/7 webcam streaming the kitchen area and living room and entry way and that if ANYONE comes in they'll be live on the internet,both visually and audibally..she was taking pictures of my note on my door with her tablet when i first looked out the peep hole..i figure maybe she's going to use it as some kind of evidence..it states i'm asleep do not knock!! and it goes further to mention the live cam inside...my mother is thinking about contacting an attorney if this continues and i know it will!!!this stupid woman asked my mother for personal info like her doctor's name and if we had a phone..my mother won't give them this information and tells them it's none of their business!!she also told this woman that while she respects the job they do,it does not concern her!!! i'm 61 years old and will not tolerate ANYONE poking around my apartment..not government and not the management!! if i'm ever sitting inside my apartment and the door opens suddenly,do they really think i'm going to wait til they're fully inside to protect my property and myself,not to mention my own mom..these state nitwits are playing a dangerous game,as i do not like my privacy being in invaded and neither does my mother like HERS being intruded upon!!!if they ever enter my apt when we're not there due to the motion detection feature of my cam, i'll have stills and 10 second video that will upload to a server 'in the cloud' where i'll retrieve them from and press charges against the state as well as against the person that made the false report..APS cannot force me to turn my webcam off..neither can the management 'nor the complex owners..nothing in the lease about a tenant and webcams..and a live cam does not prevent management from doing their job at those times they really DO have to come in..which is very rare btw.the state is foolish to cause risk of heart attack and stroke and they do not have the right to force my mother to speak to them every week and a half.or at any time for that matter!!
Reply to robertray

my mother and i live together and she told APS recently that she feels like their harrassing both her and i and she refused to let them in and speak to them..there's nothing APS CAN DO ABOUT THAT!!! her doctor claims they're putting her at risk of heart attack or stroke when they upset her..when my mother told them she feels harrased by them,the APS woman she was soory that she'd leave(which she did)and said she wouldn't be back again.
Reply to robertray

Sounds like you need a restraining order against your accuser. Who is POA for your g'mother and mother? If you are, you are not obliged to share the records with anyone else in the family. It might be wise to document what this person has done and is doing, and go on the offensive, rather than being defensive. Bullies will bully as long as they are allowed and this person is a bully. Often they will back down if you get assertive.Can you get a statement from your g/mother's doctor that this questioning her by your relative and by AAA is distressing/harmful to her? Can you talk to a worker at Social Services? What about Adult Protective Services? Another agency may more effective curb this activity of AAA. I agree that going to the highest up person at AAA is good. Bring documentation with you to show the whole picture, including that from g'mas doctor if he/she will take a stand about the harassment. It might be politically wise to see another agency first and get them on side, and share their point of view with AAA. Good luck and let us know how it goes,
Reply to golden23

Order of protection
Reply to twocents

I am having the same problem. My mom has been living with me for a year and a half and the Aging Agency is harassing me saying there was a call about neglect. That I leave my mom alone for an hour or two? Is this really neglect? First of all, I don't leave my mom alone. Three of us live here and between me and my daughters, someone is always home and Second of all, my mom is not on any kind of doctors orders that says she needs 24 hour care.

The case worker came to my house and was extremely rude to us. He calls me all the time and threatens to pop in on us at any time. I told him to go right ahead. He is such a jerk. I'm so upset I started procedures to put my mom in the county nursing home cause I can't deal with it. I hate to see my mom go into the nursing home but I don't want a neglect charge on my record. Even though there is no neglect.

I think my sister made the neglect call. She's a character.
Reply to sunshine63

Your state's or county's Aging agency is mandated by law to investigate ALL complaints of ALLEGED
elder abuse..no matter how frivoulous the complaint may seem to others.
So as for those promoting addressing harrrassment by that agency..it's like calling 911-they go out and have to investigate each and every complaint of elder abuse. Not saying you would neglect your loved ones-but sometimes it happens.
Just think of the outrage and liability if someone called and made alot of reports and nothing came of it but the next time, it was founded abuse and no one went out because nothing was found before...
You say you now the reporter. Confidentiality laws protect the reporter's identity.
As for the person who gave you advice about getting records -You cannot obtain protected records on the elder abuse investigation. They are not "open records"f to read.
And someone cannot be sued for calling in elder abuse.
Reply to marieg