How to handle wife's jealousy of female caregivers assisting with Dad's care due to Parkinson's Disease?

Step mom is 86 years old and has cognitive impairment with very poor memory. She has cared for my Dad (age 76) since he was diagnosed 13 years ago with Parkinson's Disease. My Brother and I moved them to NC so we could assist with his care as step-moms abilities became questionable. Brother was living with them but committed suicide last fall so now caregivers are there from 10pm to 6 am and 10 am to 2 pm every day while I work full time. Step mom was prescribed Zoloft for depression which she took briefly but then decided she didn't need it anymore.

Now she has decided that the caregivers are after Dad and want him in a sexual way. Two of them are older ladies and one is a young girl (early 20's) but nothing could be further from the truth. I'm blessed with 3 excellent caregivers but stepmom is so rude and nasty to them that I'm afraid they will quit. Stepmom even said she wished they were rude to Dad so he would appreciate her more. Unfortunately, she is hard of hearing and yells a lot. I don't think she means to be so cranky but it puts everyone around them in a difficult spot. Her kids are in another state and have flat out said they will NOT take her back. Dad still loves her most of the time although even he occassionally questions whether or not he is really married to her. He said he wouldn't have married someone like that by choice.

My questions are this: 1) Is there any legal way I can make her take the Zoloft? I've tried everything-pleading, bribing, begging, threatening but she won't take them.
2) How do I control her jealousy of the caregivers? We all got together as a group to reassure her they are only here to help them but her memory is so bad, she's already forgotten.
3) What is our legal responsibility for keeping her here if she keeps making everyone so miserable? I have POA for both of them and handle all bills, dr visits, etc. I'm still grieving my little brother and have a husband and my own Mom who is moving here from another state as soon as her house is sold and I'm working 50-60 hours a week . Things would be a lot easier if she would just take the Zoloft or go back where she came from, if her kids would take her. Dad is a joy most of the time and the only issues with him originate because of her. Advice please!

17

Answers

SM feels that dad is getting his needs met. And shw feels she is getting neglected. She does not have a life. She needs a life of her own. He needs her own caregiver. Or take her to an adult daycare center to meet friends amd do activities. Or have the caregivers be creative and play. The key is keep her busy. For example give simple house hold chores.

The Caregivers Are, or at least should be, Used To The Difficult Patients, and their families. IS, sadly, a huge part of this sort of situation
YOUR Job, is to Review The Will, Check YOUR Legal Status Upon Passing.
My Guess, she expects Full Inheritance. ZERO To His Children...
Let The Caregivers Do Their Job. YOU Do Yours...check, wouldn't it be interesting if AREN'T Legally Wed ...Maybe, she married him as a Place To Go. Many Older Women were raised that way in By Gone Days...Hubby To Take Care Of You...Get A GREAT Lawyer...Get Everything Done NOW, Before Is Too Late...BTW: HER Kids, WILL Come Sniffing Around When She Has HIS Money To Play With .......After, all the work is done

I told her daughter that I was going to see an attorney to have her removed to a nursing home and Edith miraculously started to take her Zoloft again. We're taking it day by day. She seems to be better with the new caregiver now. Time will tell.

I feel for you I really do and I hope you are finding your way but I said before that you really need to get rid of the step mom, she is no biting? This is serious, she is way beyond jealous, she is mentally unstable and hat is she decides to stab a caregiver in the back? Stranger things have happened. She is a liability, get her out of the house, have her committed to the state hospital and let her social security pay for it, have you Dad file for divorce. Extreme? Maybe but if you have a few caregivers get together and file suit, you'll wish you had done just that! My client died the Sunday before Thanksgiving, his wife made his last few days a living h*ll. So much so that I will not "hospice" another client with a spouse in the home. EVER!! Good Luck

You take her to the ER and tell them that she assaulted a caregiver.

The saga continues. I attempted to take a well-earned vacation last week and the caregiver hired to work full time left in the middle of the night with a bloody nose. Bad caregiver who left without anything more than a text message and I had to scramble to find part timers to fill the void until I could return early (but not so early I lost my entire trip). I'm still not sure what would have caused her to leave and not come back but I have my suspicions. But I returned to discover the step mom had been fighting with one of the regular part-time caregivers and had actually scratched her and tried to bite her. Now she has given notice that she will be leaving night caregiving employment from us completely. When I asked stepmom why she tried to bite the caregiver, she said it was because the caregiver aggravated her. I said OH-so that means when you aggravate me, I get to bite YOU? She actually snickered and said no-I hope not. She won't stop trying to lift my Dad out of a chair or bed and she is not physically able to do it safely at 86 years old. He ended up back at the ER while I was away because she was doing this again, even though she has been told over and over to cut it out. I've spoken with her daughter who doesn't want her back. Next step is elder care attorney to see what I can legally do with her in NC to get her away from my Dad before she kills him. I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do next.

Dementia is a very curious thing. If you calm your SM's anxiety over the females in the house, then she is likely to pick up a new issue to obsess about. I discovered that issues and obsessions could vary with my cousin who suffers with Vascular Dementia mixed with Alzheimers. You never know what your're going to get. Sometimes, the only thing I could tell her was that I had straightened out the problem. Later she would forget though. She may end up repeating the same thing to her every 2 minutes. That's stressful.

It sounds like your dad loves what his wife used to be and this new person is like a stranger to him. I'm not sure how keeping them together is helpful, when she is distressing your dad. As her dementia progresses, it's going to put more of a strain on him and you. People have different levels of tolerance, but I don't think I could handle the constant nastiness. It's not her, it's her illness, but, depending on her diagnosis, I would explore assisted living or Memory Care for her. I would just check out what is available.

Since my above post back in June, I've learned some more from this website. Sometimes a wife will become angry and make it difficult for the Caregivers, but who she is really upset with is her husband.... that he's not able to care for her, or they can't do the same things they once did. She feels hurt that she cannot give 100% of the care.

I now realize that back years ago when my Dad had his heart attack, my Mom was scared and upset... oh my gosh, what will the neighbors say, that she wasn't a good wife because he had a heart attack? I really believe that is what she was thinking because she was in denial about his medical condition. Mom would sit and glare at the caregivers, who were only in the house at the most an hour a day.

Couple months ago, when Dad feel and hurt himself, a nurse and physical therapist would stop by daily, but this time Mom keep herself busy in the kitchen. There was a better comfort level in the house.

I guess I am the only one who seems to think step mom needs to go. I am a caregiver and I am working with a dying man, the wife is constantly in the way, in denial, refuses to let us do our job properly. She is a pain in the a**, literally. The last thing on a caregivers mind is wanting the declining/dying person in a sexual way. When wives interfere they put their spouses lives at risk. Put her in a home. period and let these women do their job or you will lose them. The wife sounds like a liability.

Well, male caregivers are out because they won't work for what we can afford to pay. I called a caregiver meeting and we all reassured Stepmom our motives are pure. Things were a little better for maybe 2 days. Now we're going to tell her that everyone has a boyfriend so they're not interested in dad. I bring her gifts, kiss and hug her first when I go over every day. One caregiver took her for a pedicure but she's always so negative. It's exhausting to be around her and most of the time Dad wants to leave with the caregivers just to get a break from her cranky (sometimes loud) misbehavior. I can't move him to my house yet but when she's gone, we will then.