How to handle job hunting with detriment of caregiving to personal finances and work history?

I had to decide to voluntarily leave my career of 10 years, because of schedule changes and could not afford additional caregivers to cover. In the 3.5 years of care-giving, I let some of my personal responsibilities go, like paying my bills on time verifying bank balances and bouncing checks. This caused my credit history to be down graded severly. Also being out of regular work for over 6 months made HR screeners drop my applications becasue of no current work history. If I did get a response and a credit check was performed I did not hear anything more from the opportunity.

How can a person be forth coming and let a potential HR screener know this and not be a derogatory/negative representation for a job?

I am sure that I am not the only one that has seen this issue. I have asked a few HR professionals, but none of them want to take a position on this and actually let you know that this bias exists in the career hunting fields.

I thought we were all humans trying to get along...the best we know how and can???

23

Answers

1 2 3
Bookluvr, technically it is unlawful to discriminate against someone due to age, BUT we all know that it happens and often because of stereotyping, as you mentioned, too old to learn. So a strategy to fight stereotyping is to NOT BE a stereotype by updating your skills and look (yes appearance and first impressions are important).

There may be some industries that are not interested in older workers, but there are some industries that are statistically going to be so understaffed they are trying everything to keep Baby Boomers from retiring, by being very flexible. One of those fields is healthcare. It is caught in a "Catch 22." As the Baby Boomers retire and leave the workforce, the more of them need healthcare AND there are not enough of the following generations to replace them.

Some employers also prefer older workers because they have a strong work ethic. Younger workers tend to have other priorities.

The point is to focus on your strengths and do some research. Find employers and industries that are looking for employees like you, and customize your resume, by highlighting your strengths to appeal to them.

I agree with Madeaa. I am hoping to find an employer that doesn't want to deal with the downfalls of hiring a younger person....calling in "sick" monday mornings, upcoming weddings, babies, time away from work for all of the above. I don't need health insurance - I'm covered through my husband's employer, so that right there saves them a crap-ton of money per month. There is a HUGE advantage to hiring "older" (shudder) employees - the trick is going to be finding an employer who recognizes that.

We are not all the same, I am not resistant to change, I embrace it, the only thing I can be certain of is change, so when things are crappy, I know they will change and I can always change my mind and how I look at things. My attitude and behavior is just about all I can control. Employers are diverse as their needs are, sometimes they don't want a younger person they want someone to do something specific for just now. Now as far as "never" I choose to not be placed in a caregiving postion in the future, I have a say about it and therefore, it will not happen I have done my time thank you.

No I do not want to be a caregiver, I knew I was not one but was sucked into it...since other family said they could not do it. My problem is that I am too sensitive...I pick up too much from the folks and places I go and I cannot wash it off afterwards. When you live with it... I start acting like whom I am caring for...slowly losing my mind!

I have NEVER been interested in being an RN, an LVN, a CNA, etc. etc. - I have always known that line of work was just not for me. I do, however, have my coding certification and love medical-office-type stuff. I sailed right through my medical terminology & anatomy classes - it all just seemed to "click" with me. The hard part, as bookluvr says, is competing with young people who are applying for the same positions. I am really worried I won't ever have enough in my own social security account to be eligible for Medicare, let alone social security. :(

Remember you are competing with younger people. Most companies prefer the young ones due to new ideas or better able to shape them into the company’s way of thinking. As an older applicant, we’re “resistant” to change or trying something new, plus usually they “encourage” people of our age to “retire” so that young new bloods come in. I know of one company who forces their employees when they reach the “retirement” age.

Madeaa, never say never. I laughed when I read your last comment. I say that all the time when people tell me that I now have caregiving background. I never wanted to be a nurse and now forced to be my parent's caregiver. I worry that my "NEVER" will one day come back at me. =(

I just had to say, for me, I would NEVER ever become a caregiver again.

Would you consider becoming a caregiver to someone else? Getting a CNA is relatively quick and easy.

If you have submitted your resume and applied for jobs with no response, maybe you're not giving yourself enough credit for all the responsibilities you have had as a caregiver. It is hard to toot your own horn. Maybe you should look into using a resume writing service that has experience in describing caregiving in a way that appeals to potential employers. They would be good at drawing out the details of your experience that are pure gold that you don't even recognize.

Maybe you are looking for a job in a field that does not resonate with your caregiving experience. At least for a short term to be able to have a paying job on your resume and to get acclimated to working outside the home again, you might look for a job in a field that values empathy and sensitivity to others' needs, but does not require specialized education or training. Teacher's aides, especially in special education, in-home caregiving, tutoring (you may have some area of education that would be useful). Or work that requires a lot of adaptability and flexibility, problem-solving skills, etc.

You might look into a temp agency. I am looking into working for an internet-based company called "TaskRabbits" when I need to do "real work" again or when I can get my mom into an adult day care a couple days a week and would be able to work outside the home on a part time basis. (I don't know if it's ok to mention names here. I am not promoting the company, I am just mentioning it as it seems to be an interesting resource to look into for anyone in the difficult job search situation. I'm sure there are other companies like this; this is the only one I know the name of). You submit a profile of your skills and types of "tasks" you would like to do, and your availability and how much you would charge for your work. They do a background check and if you're accepted they post your profile. You would be considered an independent consultant. Their customers (whose backgrounds are also checked) post detailed descriptions of tasks they want performed, and the time frame. You can bid on tasks or the company can match you up. There is a huge range of tasks requested from simple to high tech and highly specialized. Tasks can be one-time jobs or repeating and can lead to full-time employment. Customers and task rabbits rate and review each other on the website, and if the customer likes your work, they can request you for future tasks.

Anyway, just another resource for someone who is "between jobs" and having trouble finding full-time employment, and it has the best of both worlds, the freedom and flexibility of being self-employed and the structure, resources and accountability of working for a company.

Hello All (Ferris1),
To clarify, I worked in animal Health as Lead Maintenance Technician and Maintenance Supervisor for vaccine production and other roles for ten years.

Mother is now in Nursing Home under my sister's DPOA in Florida, acting as her primary now.

Job hunting is my major activity, besides moving out of the house purchased to care for my mother in with my sister's husband realty investment.

I understand times are tough and I try to understand what the market is for employment now, but want to make clear to an employer my status and not let subjective ideas or methods for filtering rule myself and them from a great person.
Jim

1 2 3