Siblings got guardian ad litem who did not recognize my moms rapidly progressing dementia. Now what?

So they, who NEVER SEE MOM FOR 7+ yrs took away my poa poh and I am only daughter in state. One block away. Guardian ad litem and MOM OWN ATTORNEY did not recognize this downfall, now I'm out, yet They told Mom I don't want to see her.

15

Answers

Okay. Can I run through what I understand of the background? Then you can correct / fill any gaps.

Your mother lived with her Significant Other. For how long? His house, her house, or theirs jointly? His five children have long since left home. Then five years ago you move in and begin taking care of your mother: was the SO still a fixture then? When did he move into rehab/NH?

Are they your mother's or your siblings, the three?

I can imagine due notification of court proceedings going astray; and if you say you weren't notified, then you weren't. It happens. But you must since then have seen documentation: what reasons were given for the application for guardianship?

What I'd like to understand better is whether the extended family has become unhappy about some aspect of your involvement in your mother's care; or whether it's got nothing to do with you and the application for guardianship has been made on its own merits, to get matters in order.

What position have you been left in? Are you still able to live in your mother's home and care for her? How are you managing your own needs and life in general?

Bird you need an attorney.

Gladimhere I was not notified of court hearings, and I cared for mother for five plus years, her phone calls and mine were not heeded. No one offered help at all.

Babalou....my Mother told me. She is only clueless about this guardin and court business, she can't comprehend it.

Churchmouse.... Siblings, 3, plus unmarried significant other, ( he was already in nursing home/rehab ) plus his 5 kids applied for gaurdianship, judge threw all of it out but called for ad litem, but she mostly does child custody. I had not seen. these folks from 7-30 yrs. I was Moms caregiver for over five yrs. everybody in town knows it. Plus, the two sets of siblings never had even met, prior. Now they claim they r best friends.

Pam Stegma I never got papers from court, Moms attny, or anyone.
I WAS POA

Retain an elder law attorney.

The most common reason a POA loses their authority is 1. Failure to keep financial records. For example, using mom's debit card and not keeping the receipt to prove it was for her. 2. Paying themselves for care without some kind of written contract in place. Even cost sharing rent etc. must have a written contract. Without that the court sees a "conflict of interest" and removes the POA.

Catneal, losing control to a guardian? Any guardian worth a dime would at least try to work with the family before making decisions. Sometimes there are families that are so dysfunctional even impartial assistance does not solve issues. Then there is no choice left but for guardian to carry out the tasks assigned them by the court.

Socwio is so right on this matter. A family member should always be designated as POA and guardian with another family member as back up. When state appointed guardians enter the scenario, the family loses all say in oversight of their parent's care. An elder law attorney can set up the necessary documents to establish family control of your mother's care and estate. Sounds like Mom's attorney is trying to take advantage of his position to wrest control of her situation to his advantage. If your siblings think it is to their advantage to go this route, I fear they will be sorely disappointed when the state appointed guardian leaves them with nothing to inherit and your mother suffers from lack of proper care.