Grocery costs...how much for your bill? How many people?

Healthy or "ok enough healthy "?He always believes in name brands items and says that $450 a month for food will cover 4 people. But he is saying this includes various types of good quality meat, canned and fresh vegetables as well fruits, drinks, pasta, milk ( Prices at $4.98 a gallon and going through at least 4 a week...) sausages, bacon etc. Even with store brand names I can barely feed 3 full" healthy "meals for four, ( sausage/bacon not weekly as he wants) but we are actually are 5 on this budget! And we DO go over! I try value packs and sales....

Also, he says that trash bags, cleaners etc do not cost as much as we say! He says he shopped and the bill was half the price of when we go ( even after he went blind he had help shopping said it was low) Any ideas other than neighbors reading the receipt? Maybe having the cashier tell him all the prices the next time we go?

I would love to learn how to extreme coupon like that tv show!

19

Answers

Thank you everyone! You all have been a great help! I am going to take all of your information/advice and see how to fix my own bill :) I will be attempting a garden, cook from scratch( a lot of trial and error from this im sure) and cook my meals when I have a few hours and freeze them.. hopefully this will work. I will also check into these websites you have given me! Coupons for sure as well!

You might want to check this article on how to save money from grocery shopping, find out if all the tips included here are applicable to your current situation. Everybody needs a good financial planning for grocery shopping especially if you are trying to juggle your budget along with long-term care expenses for your loved ones:
http://www.infolongtermcare.org/save-more-money-from-grocery-shopping/

There was just my mom, myself and my husband. (..and 2 cats). We would seem to always spend over 200 per week. I get what others are saying about the sweets. My mom paid for her own food, but with all her prepacked things, hers seemed to be about 100 of that bill. She recently moved out, and my husband and I went shopping for the week last Friday. We went to Walmart and ended up spending 130.00, we stocked up on laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. So the majority of that wasn't food. We live in Winter Haven, Florida. I need to make a shopping trip that is just dedicated to food. When my girls were teenagers..uuggh...We probably spent over 300 per week when everyone was still living at home. I have 2 daughters, and my husband has a daughter that was over on the weekends, so we always stocked her favorite things too.

we have 6 cats and feed grain free food and friskies wet as a treat so cars alone cost about $90/month with litter. I have a big veg garden and grow a lot and can/freeze. Make my own jam/jelly. But I buy good bread and though dad has a good appetite I am wasting less as dad eats lots of leftovers. I take $200 from his bank account to cover food cost, the occasional eating out and cover his sweet tooth.

Captain, how true that is about how Americans eat. Many Asian countries eat much healthier diets then we do. While some of us eat to live, we are seeing too many who live to eat. Fresh brown rice with a small can of mixed vegetables thrown in sounds real good right now :)

i eat a lot of sweetened rice with fruit. ive a few times observed chinese workers at china buffets eating nothing but a big plate of white rice. you know enough food is returned and wasted that they could fill up on whatever they wanted. they dont seem to be eating for comfort or pleasure but for sustainance. very healthy looking and vibrant people i might add. the american customers sitting around eating are quite the opposite story. i might die living on chicken livers and rice but at least ill leave a beautiful corpse. lol ( otto , the simpsons )

Cooking three meals a day is a pain in the patoot. I cook in bulk - meats, casseroles, spaghetti sauce, shepherds pie, quiche and freeze in portions. Then all I have to do is find veg, salad, rice or baked beans to go with whatever it is. Cook once and deal with big pots and pans only once. Saves so much time every day for things I'd rather be doing.

Much of this depends where you live. Big cities are killers. Country is cheap as long as you stick to what is in season and can or freeze food. Anyone who lived through the great Depression can feed a family of four for a week with only 3lbs of ground beef and one chicken.

My husband and I spend about $50 a week on groceries, paper goods, and cleaning supplies. We have our daughter and her family (5) for Sunday dinner. I shop specials and stock up and freeze. I cook most foods from scratch. and we eat very well. I buy basic foods and most produce at Aldi, but not everyone has an Aldi. I don't splurge on "out of season" foods.

Me1000, for cleaning items what I recently found were products made by a company called *Mrs. Meyers Clean Day* which are organic and I found it at Target. You'll find their website fun to read. You can also order on line, and instead of putting items in your *cart*, they go into a *bucket* ;)