Grandpa rolled out of bed last night and doesn't want me to tell anyone?

Floor Mat safety? He said "not to make a big deal, don't tell anyone he will just get one of those mats like at the nursing home by the beds". He said he was asleep and rolled out of the bed ..again. Again? I didn't know about the times before! He said it was before I stayed nights.

So, if he gets a pad for the floor, what about when he gets up on and off at night to go to the restroom? Will he trip getting that little step or slip?

Thank you in advance everyone ( I am soooo tired that I accidentally called someone out of town when I was trying to call a 800 number to check something for myself, ( not to do with grandpa)!!! I feel sooo bad!

22

Answers

1 2 3
ohdear, your welcome and thank you :)

Kedwards460, thank you for sharing, this is something I can watch for with him. Im glad your mom overall had no trouble for such a long time, that's wonderful! Im also glad your mom is ok and not hurt.

My mom had what I refer to as a slippage. She has a bed rail but she rolled over and got caught between the bed and the rail. Her feet were on the floor and was in the letter c position. Luckily she was fine. I got her gently onto floor but since she is so weak I had to call fire dept came and they cameand did an assist and lift when it was determined she had no injuries. She's had that bed rail for 4 years and last Sunday was t first time she had a slippage.
A

Thanks for your kind words. I love what I do. You and your granddad take care.

Thank you so much for all your advice ohdear! He has has mobility problems since about a year before he went blind. (9 years now) but of course it has now gotten worse. He use to go out, listen to the news and his talking books but he hasnt want to in the last year or so. Well, he does still like to go grocery shopping tho!

I agree with you, to keep him doing his leg exercises. And great idea on the bell and baby monitor. Sometimes I'm outside his house and I cant hear him, so I will get one. The pool I mentioned to him and he said no because he wouldn't know where he is at, his legs are too weak to even try and he would slip. He refuses an adult care center because of him being blind. I am his main caregiver ( he has another one a couple times a week who's suppose to stay 3 hrs each time. She doesnt take him anywhere. You have great ideas thank you :)

Im glad your still enjoying your job and benefiting physically from it! You shouldn't retire if you are doing what you love and can keep doing it :) No meds and only exercise is wonderful! Im glad your keeping active, I need to start being active myself.

Me1000, a lot of elders refuse to accept their newly imposed physical limitations. As a result of continuing to do the things they can no longer do they set themselves up for falls that can result in some serious injuries. If he is not cooperating with you, try the following.I am actually a senior myself actually still going strong fortunately. I work in a nursing home
which we usually call a long term care facility because it is for any aged adult who requires medical care that cannot be provided for in a non medical setting. We use bed and/ or chair
alarms that have audible alarms that go off when somone gets up for our high risk fallers. Also why is your loved one getting up ? If it is to use the bathroom than put him on a schedule where you ask him every 2 hours if he needs to go. This way you are there to assist him more. You can also become more aware of his toileting patterns and be there to help him to the bathroom. Give him a handheld bell to ring if you are not around or use a baby monitor so you can both hear him and he can call you in the middle of the night. Keep the bed alarm in place at night also. Do activities with him during the day. Mobility is important. Help him to stand in place and ambulate him during the day also. Make sure he is not bored.Does he have activities to do ? I know he is blind but if you are cooking let him mix the cake batter,fold things like clean towels. Empty out the dryer in the clothes basket. Bet you'll think of more things. Get talking books so he can keep up with his reading. Most men like sports sYo tune them in on the radio for him. Find those talk shows on radio or podcasts on the internet. There are so many of them. Try adult day care one or two days a week at first or have your home health aide accompany him to a senior center so he can socialize and do activities with them. The aide stays with him to help him to the bathroom. He may need a wheelchair for this type of outing. If he does not have dementia you may find lots he can participate in. Call also your local services for the blind to see what they have for blind seniors . Google services for blind seniors and see what you come up with on your county, state and federal level. Send him to college. Do you have one in your ares that allows seniors to audit classes for free or very low cost ? There is bound to be a subject he is interested in. Boredom tears you down fast physically and mentally. As a senior the MD says I have arthritis. I take nothing for it. My job keeps my bones in better shape than meds do. I have a lot of upper body strength from turning and lifting people. My legs are well conditioned from walking up and down the unit. My job is my gym.On my own I love to walk and to me to walk a mile or two is like a short walk. Next year will be 63 no plans to retire. Whatever your level is use it or lose it. Your grandfather has yet a lot of good times ahead.

It is important than he does the exercises to help maintain his best level. Hope he is using those techniques also.Is there a
pool he can make use of ? Swimming is a great way to stay in shape. Even being in the water has it's benefits. You should check with his doctor first to make sure it is okay for his medical condition to do this type of activity.

ohdear, I agree he's at higher risk. He has extremely bad legs ( week and painful) as well as many other issues. This time he rolled out of bed while he was asleep, he wasn't trying to get up. But yes, there were times he was trying to get to the bathroom in the past. His legs give out on him. The house is one level and he uses a walker at all times.

Hes had physical therapists and they gave him all the techniques and such to use. They finished last month. I do stay with him all night plus Im down there off and on all day to help. He does have a urinal and he uses it a little more often now. Its not always at night that he falls, its during the day as well. Im unsure if they can do anything more for his legs, I think at this point he is going to lose the ability to walk. Thank you for suggestions, and I will talk with him again.

Blind and with mobility issues means he is at a high risk for falling! It is important to know what are the factors that have contributed to these falls and mitigate them as much as possible. Where did he fall ? If he fell enroute to the bathroom away from the bed then I would wander if the floor was wet at any spot causing him to slip. Was he wearing proper footware ? Is he suppose to use a cane or walker or wheelchair ? A Physical therapists could evaluate him to determine what is best for him. Also they could work on gait strengthening exercises to help him be more stronger and safer for walking. Maybe he needs care at night, someone who can assit him at night to the bathroom. How about using a bedside commode at night and /or a urinal. Try to help him understand walking to the bathroom at night is not in his best interest.

Abagail- the bed is a full sized bed. He said he rolled out of bed and he wasn't getting out this time. But yes, he has fallen walking around the house as well. Ill talk to him about the bedside potty, he doesnt like them but he wont have a choice soon! Also, he does have a bathroom in his room.

Moms66angel- Im glad your mom is using it and its helping her! I think your right, once he uses it, he will like it.

lilgecko29- your right and I mentioned to him what you said. He says hes fine but I told him he WILL call his Dr period and get checked! He agreed! You make a good point about them being able to do it in the hospital so they can do it at home! I told him Im putting my foot down and he has no choice to do what I say/ Drs say...now if he wants to stay out of the NH!

I learned from caretaking that falls may not show any injuries on the outside but can do a lot more damage on the inside. Elderly are more than often embarrassed of the incident just like we would be, but being older they are more frail, thinner skin and head injuries can cause future problems(blood clots and tia attacks), twisted knees and arms can lead to issues in the future also.(walking,standing). I have also been asked many times to not say anything but when this is repeated like he said, again, u may not know what damage mmay have already been done. If he seems ok, I would let it be and inform his PCP next visit but also having dealt with stubborn patients that don't want bedrails, I learned that they will do it if they were in the hospital so they should be able to do it at home for future prevention. Look into different ways to help him lkeep his independence but also be safe, he will have to accept that he needs these precautions because u love him and want him around without something harder to take care of if something were to happen.

1 2 3