Grandmother with dementia is claiming that she is sick every morning. Is it in her head?

My Grandmother has been staying at my parent's house for about a week now after recently being in the hospital. A quick background she has Dementia and lives alone, but has 2 groups of nurses aids to help her out from the morning until night time. She had fallen one afternoon so they called an ambulance and brought her to the hospital. Tests seemed to be fine, nothing was broken and they did pretty much every test you could think of on her (CT, bloodwork, etc). Now since she has been staying at my parent's, every morning she claims to be incredibly sick (usually says just nausea) and can't get up on her own. Since she has dementia she forgets where she is and believes she is in her own home. When no one is visible to her she has no problem getting up and walking around on her own. She has a walker that she uses to get around most of the time with my family, but sometimes when she's alone (or thinks she is) she doesn't even need it to get up and walk around. At night time she's more mobile and active as she mostly sleeps all throughout the daytime, waking up to eat or use the bathroom. This is when she claims she can't get up and calls for someone to help her. My mom has recently been encouraging her to at least try and get up on her own when she asks, and it seems every time she tries she is able to. It is just strange because every morning it seems to be the same repeating process. She claims to be incredibly sick and helpless, but by the night time seems fine. Forgot to also mention that since she sleeps all day she can be heard getting up late hours of the night walking around. Is this sickness just all in her head and is the dementia just making her believe she has these symptoms? She could possibly be faking her sickness but I just don't believe she has the brain capability to do that.

16

Answers

Selective dementia......DEFINITELY! !!! Mother is a master manipulator and trots out a wide variety of tricks to get attention. Lately it's being SO SO sick with nausea every day, several times a day, but mostly in the morning. She overeats every meal, then wonders why she's nauseous. Has GERD and diverticulitis but refuses to eat properly to avoid flare ups. She'll have yet another doctor appointment and lots of blood work, again, and again, nothing will be wrong with her. I suppose, at 91, something WILL be wrong for real one of these days, and this may be The Big One Elizabeth, but I seriously doubt it. I just listen to the list of ailments, tell her to set a doc appointment at the ALF, and pay all the bills that come thru. With her, it's the Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome, so I tend to take everything with a grain of salt.
Reply to lealonnie1

Good idea on the blood sugar check - I'd also check blood pressure. Maybe one or both of those are wacky first thing. I doubt that folks with much dementia are "selectively" using their feeling sick as a pretext for more attention. I tend to think that their brains have a few loops that they get stuck in and feeling bad may be a loop that they repeat because it's what their brain remembers. There may be some basis in fact or it may just be a loop. Hard to tell.

My mom didn't have feeling sick as a part of her repetition but she did have loops about different topics and would repeat herself word-for-word. It was kind of amazing sometimes because I could repeat back exactly what she would say because I'd heard her responses so many times. 
Reply to blannie

Has she had a blood sugar check in the morning to see if it is very low?

does dementia cause your stomach to be sick on a daily bassic and nausea or is there a perperation to get gravol only help.for awhile please help please
Reply to wayney777

Sounds almost identical to my mother. Sick with one thing or another all the time. Worse in the morning and can be ok by evening.
Reply to Jaxter

These descriptions of dementia and being ‘sick’ with one thing or another are exactly the same as my mother. Every morning there’s another symptom... nausea, pain, UTI symptoms, etc. Mostly I think she is genuinely feeling lousy. Lately she’s becoming very distressed by her symptoms - panics, cries, shakes, says she’s scared and can’t calm herself down. As I understand it, this is all part of the dementia picture. It’s a horrible disease.
Reply to Jaxter

klf329..Lol she nearly knocked you over that made me laugh so true I see that a lot too & I would love to know the answer can dementia symptoms be selective?
Reply to mollymaid2

Every morning I call my Mom, she is "so sick, the sickest I've ever been". I feel it's being used for attention. Mom has always been needy. The other day, I showed up around 5:30 pm. Asked her how she was and got the "I'm so sick" response. I said that was too bad because I was going to take her out for supper. She almost knocked me over on her way to get her coat so we could go out for supper! Can symptoms of dementia be selective?
Reply to klf329

timtim, my mother also does not want to go out now. It started about 3 years ago. She would say that she didn't feel up to it, the weather was too hot or too cold, the sun was too bright or it was too cloudy. Occasionally she would go out and enjoy it, but it became less and less. After she fell a couple of months ago, she has been reluctant to go out at all.

Because of her dementia she doesn't have a good sense of time. In her mind she only quit going on walks last summer and she's been going outside up until the last month or so. She doesn't realize that the only time she's gotten out of the house in the last few years is pretty much when I take her to church, the doctor, or out to eat.

It can be frightening to think that we may be the same in the future. I wish there was a way to get our parents more interested in living again, but I try not to nag at my mother. I figure at 89 it can be better just to let her be comfortable.
Reply to JessieBelle

It is a mystery. I'd be curious as to how her condition goes as her dementia progresses.

My cousin had a number of ailments before she got dementia. But, since she got dementia, she doesn't have them. She no longer has allergies, heartburn, sinus infections, etc. It's amazing.

I would keep a log of her complaints and revisit it if she keeps complaining. Doctors can't always be sure that there is not a cause for the sickness, although, her feeling sick could be psychological. And if that's the case, it's still real to her and should be treated as a real ailment. I might ask the doctors if a little Malox or even a placebo would be appropriate.
Reply to Sunnygirl1