What should I do if someday my grandmother not be able to communicate anymore, because of her stroke?

I want to help grandmother to communicate with others, so people will understand what she's trying to say.

15

Answers

my mother had a stroke about 5 years ago and she can't talk or walk but it doesn't matter she think she's talking and I talked to her and comfort her pretend I understand what you saying and sometimes she'll answer me correctly with it yeah or a head shake so they know more than you think even though they can't talk just love them that's all you can do

My mother is blind - obviously writing is nor any good for her. We are trying hypnotherapy. It has shown proven results in many cases.

Hardtohandle, that's exactly what MY mom did. She had aphasia - some really good speech therapy took the edge off and helped her a little, but most of the time, she'd still say the wrong thing, and rather than understand she'd said the opposite of what she wanted or made no sense, she assumed we were stupid idiots for not getting it right the first time she said it!

Once she said she needed the sour cream on. That meant she needed her brief changed. Other times she'd yell she needed the heat turned UP UP UP and they'd turn it all the way and what she really wanted was down because she was way too hot...and the extra sweater that we added wasn't helping that any.

The speech therapist will try to teach them to compensate when they can't find a word, and if they are willing to use a picture board or point to choices like what foods they usually want or maybe pictures of someone who is too hot or too cold, it can work. If you really have no option to get one, there is no reason not to try some of those things yourself. Here is a site you might like to look at: www.aphasia.org/content/communication-tips - I noticed that googling for "communicate with elders" was not as much help as "communication with aphasia" for the kind of thing you are going through. It's hard.

Thank you all so much for your answers, I will take them all into consideration. Unfortunately for speech pathologist it would be difficult to find in my area. My grandmother still able to communicate, but I can see that she's struggling to make people understand what she's trying to say. I can understand her (sometime I got lost too), but others may not. And I'm afraid that eventually she will loose her ability to communicate.. I'm asking for your ideas and suggestions so I can prepare things when it actually happen. Again.. thank you so much to know that there are people out there that willing to help you with their experiences and expertise

The best advice is to find out from speech therapist what type of cognitive issue she has. She may not write even if she has memory of words. You may get a simple communication system on an iPad or tablet that are picture oriented or text to speech if she has cognitive ability. If speech therapist is also certified or has knowledge in augmentative/assisted communication. Do some research on AAC

Can she still use pencil and pen? If not, you will be guessing, just try asking her if she can nod. Blinking one's eyes - one for yes, and two blinks for no will work.

My mom had a massive stroke and she has this problem. It gets very annoying. And then sometime she forgets whatever it is that she even wanted. She gets very upset if i cant figure her out. She feels i should know because im her daughter. But when i cant get it she gets really upset. Id like to know the answer

You can communicate with hand squeezes and eye blinks...if you're lucky.

I see people using 'communication boards' or a homemade version using pictures for common needs/wants. I had a client whose family used large index cards, glued common pictures on them and then laminated them, punching a hole at the top, placed the cards on a ring for easy use. You can use plastic sheet protectors just as easy or use clear contact paper over the pictures or cards. Common pictures can be; a tube of toothpaste/dentures, a cup for a drink, a plate of food for hungry, a commode for need to go to bathroom, tv, radio/music, happy face, sad face, blanket for being cold, fan for being to hot, a variety of faces for pain (you can find them on the internet), bed for a nap, coffee mug for want coffee, and what ever else would apply. If is difficult when one can't communicate well. I was able to communicate with a client by hand gestures, pointing at objects and by trial and error. I would mention works and she would shake her head yes or not until I found the correct word for what she needed. Over time, you find a way to communicate. If one thing doesn't work, try something else. Of course you can purchase communication boards, but if money is a factor a home made one can work just as well.

Is she unable to communicate now or are you afraid this is comming?
There are a couple of simple solutions. Write he usual needs in large letters on paper or a board so you can point to them and she can communicate her needs. If this does not work draw or find pictures of these things. plenty of catalogs with pictures of things like the toilet, foods coffee, cups etc