How to cope with grandma's loud television that she watches 24/7?

Grandma watches TV 24/7 on the same channel. She watches it all day and sleeps to it at night, but the constant noise and terribly grating shows are starting to wear me down. There's nowhere in the house or yards that I can get totally away from it. She's oppositional, so asking her to turn it down or wear headphones likely won't work. Sometimes I'll get out of the house when my nerves have had it, but I'd love suggestions as to how to cope with this without leaving home.

16

Answers

tack up 2 inch styrofoam sheeting to the walls of her tv room . in 4 ft x 8 ft sheets it requires surprisingly few of them . the foam would absorb and eliminate so much sound that even an open door or two wouldnt let much sound out . after g ma is out of your home you could rip the foam and glue it to the inside of your crawl space . big energy savings , warmer floors ..

I had mentioned closed captioning--which is wonderful, but I also wanted to add that you might want to get some noise-blocking headphone for yourself.

Looked up the audio fox kinda expensive. Might try the TV ears you can find used systems on ebay they work great. The complete sets come with two headsets so two people can listen at their own level. The newer systems are expensive but used ones are quite reasonable.

Go to WalMart etc and get an over the counter hearing aid, they are reasonably priced.

My mom loves the closed captioning,, so does my Aunt, and it works for us! But ony if they can still read...

Wow great answers. My mum does not even bother to turn the tv down when I want to speak to her. She just shouts. It is on full and in the red. She never wears her earphones that go in her ear. I do think watching the tv all day and night is very bad for the brains. It takes away the need to think. This is not a stimulation. The brain exercises cd is gathering dust. But that audio fox seems to be a great solution for the noise level. Looking for one as we speak.

There are great ideas on this thread, but if she still refuses to turn the volume down, what do you do? Especially, at night. How do you sleep at night? Does she watch tv in her room? It might involve some money, but if she is healthy and you are going to have to deal with this years down the road, PLUS you continue to work from home, I would consider sound proofing her room.

Does the remote have a closed captions option? You can set it so that it produces English "subtitles" for her to read,, and then you can lower the volume.

Those headphones are awesome. They can even hear through them when the set is at a heavenly mute setting. Dad lived them because he could hear better than with the hearing aids. I actually bought 2 because they are rechargeable and need to sit in the cradle......he would wear the most of the day and fall asleep wth them.

There is an alternative to headphones that will lower the tv volume. It's the Audio Fox, which is a set of wireless speakers on straps that go over the back of her chair or bed. She doesn't have to wear anything, and they have a volume control right on the speaker.