Grandmas has a pressure sore on heel. Any advice?

GMA is in nursing home in WI. GMA, moved with her one daughter, (not my mom), a few states away after GMP passed. That daughter thought, she could handle care. She could not, after isolating her from the rest of us that could. She put her in a crapy little town care facility states away from the rest of us. We took it in stride, best we could.

GMA developed pressure sore on heel. As Aunt began to not care about going to see her, once isolated. This was in summer of '14. GMA, not a complainer, started to need oxy every 4 hours for the pain associated with heel pressure sore. Finally saw a pix of the thing. It is huge. It is BLACK. Distributed photo to family. Have, MD, RN, LPN, ER Anesthesiologist, PT guy in MY extended family.

MD relative told me GMA is likely to need limb cut off at knee, provided there is adequate blood supply at that level. But Dr ordered angiogram at thigh level at appt . at wound care facility in Eau Clare tomorrow after learning of families talents. Soo thinking he thinks thing is going to need cut off at torso. Poor lady is 90. Best person you'd ever meet. My last living GMA.

I want to systematically cut the owner of this "care facility" off at the knees for may years to come, to repay him for cutting off my GMA at the knees. I have family member that is a politician, that rubs elbows with Govenors, Senators, Judges, and the AP in this region of the country. So that's an easy given. I have studied up medicare complaint systems to make sure the fines cost a lot. I have found sites that allow family members to sue for this kind of thing, there are 15 of us qualified. Figure we'll just release it all a little at a time to make sure this guy's life sucks as long as he is alive.

I don't feel that the Fed/State fines, prolonged law suits, negative press this jerk is going to experience for the next 10 years is enough. GMA is THE most angelic person any one could ever encounter. I don't even know if she will endure the surgical attempts to save her life that will ensue.

Any one have some more ammo? I will make this idiot's life not worth living, as he has made GMA's. For all the "little guys", thanks.

28

Answers

1 2 3
My mother who was diabetic had pressure sores on bottom of her feet, one on the heel and one on the uppper pad. After months and months of treatment, the foot clinic at Mercy Hospital in Chicago developed a new skin to treat the sores and it totally healed in about two months. She also had some blackened toes that also healed over time. She lived without sores for another 10 years and passed away at age 93.

I would have the other elder relatives questioned the aunt about putting GMA in the nursing home and then stopped visiting. The staff noted no family visitation and therefore no need to be careful with GMA. She had no one to advocate for her care. With their attitude about her blackened leg, the staffs inaction reflects that they're there for the money. No need to go out of their way to improve their client's care. One goes, another will take their place. To me, with GMA'S approval, I'd move her to a closer nursing home. Then, I will see what I can do about alerting people of what happened to GMA at that place. People Google a lot. I just did on my brother lastnight and found some very detailed information on him.

FYI, after one month stay at our only hospital on this island, when it was time to change her pampers, oh my!!! She was on the foley the whole time she was hospitalized. When I opened her pamper, she was super red, painful even for the water to dribble on her private areas. When we turned her to clean the butt area, she had this hole on her right butt!! We panicked and called her home care nurse. It took months to finally stop the hole from going down deep and then to heal. One patch of Duoderm cost $10. We spent over$100, cutting it into smaller pieces.

Just went through something very similar, but with a cut mom received while at rehab for 2 months and they never noticed? I found it the day she was discharged when putting on her shoes and socks! They wanted to amputate at the hip region...I refused though they didn't want to stent at the time I went over the vascular surgeons head to head of surgery and they ended up stenting for blood flow to her legs.....try the wound care first...debriding, antibiotics... talk to her doctors about stenting her legs..yes they say it is high risk with GA but they will have to do it either way....mom's turned out great! Just have to keep an eye out for any infections...it's sad that we have our loved ones in facilities that are supposed to be experts at what they do that employ up to 100+ people but they miss the easiest things.....why do they not notice when dressing her everyday!!!We have to be the advocates for our family members and do checks as often as possible!Also small pillows to relieve the pressure while in bed.Good luck!

Contact your local long term care ombudsman and make a formal complaint regarding the care of your grandma. I'm so sorry this has happened to her, it's not right. good luck

CentralMA, thank you so much for posting about a good outcome! It give me hope to hear your story. Yes, debriding, family started to question why that wasn't happening, (and why no antibiotics), when we all started to understand that this thing was getting worse, lots worse. The nurses at the home and the Dr. that does weekly rounds there all refused that idea, (said it was "too early" to do that). Seems like a black, necrotic, 1-1/2" hole in a person's foot would need to have dead tissue out to heal, just common sense. I just don't understand what the refusal to get some basic care has been rooted in.

Moondance, yes, the term osteomyelitis is exactly the term the MD in the family used to express what he wanted her checked for. She had her 1st appointment at a wound care facility a few days ago. They debrided and pared and put her on Keflex. Shot Xray, thought it was definitive from that that the infection was not in the bone, so did not do MRI. (That's the only question in the back of my mind right now, wondering if the wound care Doc is speeding through "step therapy" in order to justify getting on a more aggressive coarse.) Dr. there ordered a recheck with her at 7 days, angiogram on that same day, recheck in 14 days so far. So looks like someone is finally being responsible! She also ordered a specific wash, wrap,
boot, and care routine to be followed at the nursing home. Auntie has been checking in every day, has found that they are NOT doing it unless pushed by her, so far. At least the family is finally all aware and working together. A move will likely be in order after trying to gain some ground by working with the wound care specialist for a few weeks. Smoke still rolls out my ears now and then about this, but yes, gaining ground, (if it is possible), getting GMA situated, top priority. But I do want this reported so they think harder about letting it happen to others! Thanks all!

That is the purpose of the Duoderm patches. They are suposed to slough off the dead tissue. Many people want them changed more often than every 7 days because they can smell but it is important to let them do their job then the sore can be cleaned out of the dead tissue and a new patch applied. This is not a fast process and the sore will heal from the outside in. When you see some bleeding during the cleaning process that is a good thing because it means the healthy tissue is begining to regenerate. Another alternative is to surgically clean out the sore and apply a skin graft but this is risky because the circulation is probably compromised and the graft will not take. Whatever means is used the pressure must be kept off the area at all times. Best thing is to prevent the sore in the first place but this is not always possible whatever the lawyers are quick to tell you. I have seen sores develope even on the ears and noses of dying patients. It only takes a few hours.

Dear New2this: My mom had one of those (ugly, black, huge) sores on her heel. It was towards the back. The nursing facility where she was staying started a thing called (de-breeding) not sure of the spelling, and they continued this for several months until they got the sore under control. After they got it so that there was just a faint red mark, they put a "bootie" on her foot so that it wouldn't rub on the sheets when she was in bed. Also, the "bootie" was kept on during the day because she could no longer fit in her regular shoe with that foot. They wanted to keep her foot from getting irritated. This worked great, but without the process to get rid of the black, dead skin, it would have been much worse, maybe even an amputation. I thankful that they were able to keep it from coming back. I would ask about this procedure if possible before they do something more drastic. Good luck with this and keep us posted on this site if you can. God Bless.

Yeah, watch those nurses. It was like treading on egg shells around them. I know they are overworked, but one of them would start loudly yelling to Jesus if you even asked for the smallest little thing. This seemed to either puzzle or amuse the residents sitting around in their wheelchairs. Some other nurses would get looks of dismay on their faces if you even walked past the nurse's desk. There was one good nurse there that was truly helpful and concerned. Try to find a nurse you feel you can trust and build some rapport. That is the only thing that got me through that awful nursing home time.

If there is any way possible go get her and bring her to a facility close to you and others willing to look in on her more often. Second, call the nurses station often to check on her. Get daily reports so they know someone is watching. MIL is bedridden and Iake sure the keep those heels off the mattress. They have a foam pad they slide under her ankles and her heels are suspended above the bed. Next, make sure she is on a "gel mattress". It looks like egg crate and it will keep her from getting sore on other spots like her spine. Don't ask for egg crate. They have an affinity to terminology. Call it a gel mattress. I went round and round with them until I stumbled on the right terminology. Last, try not to waste your energy on anger and revenge, even though it's warranted. Focus that energy on finding solutions. Be nice to the nurses and aids. They only have two hands and very under paid. Honey will get you farther than vinegar. God bless you. I know this is hard and unfair.

The trial lasted for six months, the longest criminal trial in Texas. Although the victims in that case died in a nursing home thirty years before my father's experiences, the neglect and abuse are horribly similar.

1 2 3