My grandma is turning 98 at the end of the month and is starting to repeat things which really are not important. She still drives and is completely functional. So my aunt and mom are upset because they say I encourage her bad behavior and I say you only live once, let her enjoy it. So there was a wedding we went to on Saturday and she convinced me to go out and do the staying alive, saturday night fever dance, which my kind of uptight family said I am encouraging bad behavior from her. About an hour after the dance, she wanted to do it again. They believe she didn't remember and I feel she was just trying to have fun. Then, my son and I took her kayaking today and she lied about it so she didn't get scolded...it is kind of funny to watch. She asks questions about your life and work and when she repeats herself, usually she catches herself and rephrases, noticable if you know her but not so much if you don't. I do not believe she is not competent, just forgetful at times. My mom and aunt think she needs to move in an AL because she repeats herself but I don't see the need. How do you know when the repetition is a concern?

HA! Tacy you're AWESOME!!
Reply to Pepsee

Forgive me, but Auntie sounds like someone who could form a diamond by squeezing a piece of coal between her very tight buttocks.

Grandma and grandpa both sound AWESOME!
Reply to Lostinthemix

My aunt is odd or just a flake, one in the same. About 2 weeks before my granpa died, my grandma was in the hospital and my mom was working a night shift. I was the only grandchild over 21 and I was with him. I remember him looking at me and saying you know Im dying right and these d@mn women wont let me have a drink, no one is around are you going to go pick some cherry wheat and 7&7. I did and we stayed up all night talking, playing cards and drinking. My aunt has never forgiven me for that but I have no regrets and I feel she is believing the same thoughts about my grandma.
Reply to tacy022

I don't see what the problem is. Why do they want to block grandma's bliss? Seriously, what's the problem?
Reply to needtowashhair

HA! Go Grandma!
Reply to Pepsee

Sounds like a fun grandma to me! I remember having a grandmother I adored and I treasure the memories. My dad is 88 and repeats himself pretty regularly but he also functions well on mental tasks and manages his finances just fine. There’s more than one thing to look at for issues like dementia so until you see more I’d say enjoy time with grandma
Reply to Daughterof1930

Thanks for answering. I have noticed, the periods of repetition are usually in the evening hours and think she just may be tired.
Reply to tacy022

If forgetting you already told somebody something is cause for going to live in a facility, I would have been there long ago and I am much younger than your very cool grandma. Your Mom and Auntie need to get their panties out of a wad and let Grandma enjoy the time she has left. Tell them they can sit in a corner and tsk tsk at you and Grandma having fun and it won’t bother either of you a bit.